Xperia Tama port: 4.2.0.21 release

which group? Can I join?
edit - found it and joined…

I noted the instructions I followed here:
Waydroid on Tama

There must be easier alternatives to some steps there, do note them down if you think so.

10 Likes

@lal: thank you very much for the instructions. From the glance into them, I can see that we can simplify some steps by adding corresponding package(s) to our Tama repos and maybe integrating /etc and ld.config into droid-config. But first, it would be good to make sure it works.

Also, we should consider adding wayland images not to root partition but /home, just to avoid filling it up with these data.

6 Likes

@rinigus good to hear that you already have ideas that could make everything far more easier.

Regarding images, yes we can move them to the /home partition. Just have to make sure the image path set in /var/lib/waydroid/waydroid.cfg points to the correct directory. I currently have those under a directory in /home/defaultuser/

Downloading to custom path not working for me. No matter what I type in waydroid.py init command, it always downloads to /var/lib…

@lal: got it working over here on dev device. Seems to have some rough edges, but otherwise on fast test it works. Thank you for making it possible!

Now I am not sure how can that be, but it seems that waydroid session start REMOVES files in /home/defaultuser/waydroid. Only way to avoid that is to make those files owned by root. Has happened to me several times already… :thinking:

1 Like

Rinigus, you got it working on a XZ2compact or XZ2 device?

For the compact version (XZ2c), but I don’t think it is any different. I don’t plan yet to add it to my daily driver (XZ2) - would wait for it to stabilize and be easier to use.
@lal already merged my small corrections to his great README, see updated version.

you can resize and mount the image on the device, you just need to install e2fsprogs…
also the sha256sum of the image will most probably change, when you change some content in it

Thanks, yes, rinigus had suggested some corrections to the README which mentions about resizing on the device itself and it has been updated.

Regarding sha256sum, that is right. Intend is to check it before and after transferring the modified/unmodified image over network, not before and after modification.

1 Like

running commands 8 and 9 cause waydroid folder to be deleted…

Great to see that this issue is reproducible! As for me, in Xperia Tama port: 4.2.0.21 release - #38 by rinigus. We will have to report it to Waydroid devs

For me, it was “session start”. As a workaround, if you change owner to root and then the files will stay intact.

2 Likes

thanks - nvm about the alien conf … I think I just got it.

When looking into https://github.com/waydroid/waydroid/commit/f966cbf22b81960656a2f5694cf28af9171e49a1 - seems like we should not clone into home dir with into waydroid subfolder. As that commit is newer than 1.1.1 used by @lal, it makes sense that only those cloning current state would get the issue

using 1.1.0 fixes issue of folder deletion, but hangs on
“[08:12:47] XDG Session is not “wayland”
[08:12:47] Failed to start Clipboard m
anager service, check logs
[08:12:47] Failed to add service waydr
oidusermonitor: -1”

Not sure how long it’s supposed to take to get “Android ready” message…

As for your workaround about 1.1.1 above - are you saying it will boot Android by doung that, or just that it won’t delete?

It will “boot to Android”

1 Like

or whatever you want to call it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looks like with KDE Connect installed in both Sailfish and Waydroid, some level of integration can be achieved. Clipboard sharing, file transfer and media control is working pretty well.

Unfortunately Sailfish KDE Connect implementation cannot receive notifications from a connected device yet. That would have been really convenient in this particular use case.

I get notifications from Debian Linux container via KDEconnect using SailConnect app, (ping, pairing request…)

I meant the system and app notifications. If you were running Telegram in Waydroid and someone messaged you, the notification within Waydroid doesn’t get transferred to Sailfish through SailConnect app. That plugin isn’t implemented yet, as described on the app’s page.

1 Like