Xperia Tama port: 4.2.0.21 release

USB3 issue is in the phone bootloader, as far as I remember . So make sure you use usb2

Related to this, but for standard flashing in XA2, I had the same problem with it not working on USB 3 ports. Problem was that the only PC I had only had USB 3 ports. The solution was to plug a cheap USB 2 hub into a USB 3 port which made it all work.

Thank you all! Since I was aware with potential problems with USB 3, I also tried with a USB 2 hub but to no avail ā€¦ So it must be something else, in particular since all other stuff with fastboot on the XZ3 worked fine

BTW, flashing the Xperia 10 ii on the USB 3 port was no problem

If USB2 has been checked, other possible issue could be missing fastboot reboot-bootloader before flashing.

As for 10II - it is different device and hence the different set of bugs.

it happened a few times to me, that i used a charge-only cable, even after knowing it betterā€¦

Since we discuss tama here, a question. If you open an app like Puremaps how long does it take to locate your position with MLS enabled??

Not consistent for me, but definitely longer than I would hopeā€¦ If I have gps off, and turn it on t use maps, itā€™s typically 2-5 minutes for a fix.
(However, I canā€™t speak specifically for MLS - usually I only use ā€œcustomā€ settings for offline positioning, and time is the same).

For whatever reason i was expecting MLS to give you a position in a few seconds or so. Anyway.

I too had no luck with a simple USB 2 hub. From reading a bit I could guess it has something to do with some XHCI and EHCI something driver for the used USB device. The output from dmesg on my notebook with only USB3 ports suggests only XHCI gets loaded for both USB2 and 3 devices. Maybe a powered USB 2 hub could make the difference.
I will try at some point to flash it but for the moment I guess my XZ2C has to have a new antenna as there is no network signal at all in android It pops up for a second and dispappears while the phone gets hot and sometimes just reboots.

I donā€™t have MLS, but outdoors, I usually get a fix under a minute or two. I measured it specifically today and there was a lock in 15 seconds. XZ2C here. But if I donā€™t use positioning for a while, the time to get a lock becomes more than 5 minutes.

Yes. If you donā€™t use it for a while -with gps only- it takes a while. I was curious what are the times with MLS because they also seem rather long. I was expecting to give you an initial position until the satellites lock much faster.

@rinigus With help from Erfan Abdi over Telegram, managed to get Waydroid running on the 4.2.0.21 release on Xperia XZ2c. Feels quite snappy to use.

I will note down what I did and share here.

9 Likes

which group? Can I join?
edit - found it and joinedā€¦

I noted the instructions I followed here:
Waydroid on Tama

There must be easier alternatives to some steps there, do note them down if you think so.

10 Likes

@lal: thank you very much for the instructions. From the glance into them, I can see that we can simplify some steps by adding corresponding package(s) to our Tama repos and maybe integrating /etc and ld.config into droid-config. But first, it would be good to make sure it works.

Also, we should consider adding wayland images not to root partition but /home, just to avoid filling it up with these data.

6 Likes

@rinigus good to hear that you already have ideas that could make everything far more easier.

Regarding images, yes we can move them to the /home partition. Just have to make sure the image path set in /var/lib/waydroid/waydroid.cfg points to the correct directory. I currently have those under a directory in /home/defaultuser/

Downloading to custom path not working for me. No matter what I type in waydroid.py init command, it always downloads to /var/libā€¦

@lal: got it working over here on dev device. Seems to have some rough edges, but otherwise on fast test it works. Thank you for making it possible!

Now I am not sure how can that be, but it seems that waydroid session start REMOVES files in /home/defaultuser/waydroid. Only way to avoid that is to make those files owned by root. Has happened to me several times alreadyā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

Rinigus, you got it working on a XZ2compact or XZ2 device?

For the compact version (XZ2c), but I donā€™t think it is any different. I donā€™t plan yet to add it to my daily driver (XZ2) - would wait for it to stabilize and be easier to use.
@lal already merged my small corrections to his great README, see updated version.