Xperia 10 II + SFOS

The warranty is still there for some time, so I’m in no rush to open the box. If I have to resell the box it will be more valuable unopened. Once SF (hopefully) comes out for it, I’ll naturally play around with Android first to see it’s working (and also out of curiosity to see how Sony’s Android flavour functions).

There’s always hazzle and confusion with this warranty case. In general, in EU (might be somewhere else as well) there is this thing called vendor liability. If you buy something and it breaks they need to be able to show that you caused that damage. Usually this vendor liability is also 2 years as the warranty. And even if let’s hypothetically say your Sony warranty is 1 year, there is still this vendor liability. You can always check your local consumer laws and get help for bad situations. For instance, in Finland we have The Consumer Disputes Board which solves these situations between consumers and vendors, and usually the outcome is on consumers side.

I had this very irritating case with my Xperia X and they tried to repair it 4 times after finally it got stuck in a bootloop and I got my money back… However, the phone had SailfishOS and the stock Sony Android etc. were flashed and installed on the service, with no charge.

Also, waiting here eagerly with my Xperia 10 II to have any information about official Sailfish on it.

With the readme instructions posted yesterday, would it possible to already flash Sailfish OS or it won’t work until it’s released? Can’t wait! :smiley:

4 Likes

Do mind, there is no Android support however.

Give a link to the firmware. Thanks.

Found https://sailfishos.org/wiki/Sailfish_X_Xperia_Android_10_Build_and_Flash
and https://github.com/mer-hybris/droid-config-sony-seine/commit/cf94d86f6be3714e1461f4717bb3ba497e26f0c4
Or are there more links?

I will clarify the question. Is there a ready-made firmware, or do you need to assemble it yourself according to the instructions above?

It will come. No need to rush. And it will be a better experience than going through git etc. So be patient.

8 Likes

I need to extend my contract and could get an Xperia 10 II. Does it make sense to order one? I’m still happy with the XA2, but might need a new device in future that works with Sailfish. I assume buying an Xperia 5 II would be risky.

The 10ii at the moment seems like the safest bet, although even with that there’s no timeline. I don’t think there has been any public efforts on 5ii.

3 Likes

what is the chipset of the 5ii?
edit: its not on the odp either. difficult.

The XA2 will probably receive updates for at least a couple more years, I don’t think you urgently need to get a new phone if the XA2 still works well.

1 Like

It has a Snapdragon 865. I know that it’s not yet in ODP, but I hope it would be taken and choosen for Sailfish support.
The issue is that I could get one of these two phones cheap with a contract extension. I don’t need a new phone at the moment and I don’t want a Cinemascope phone, but I might need a phone in future that fully supports Sailfish. And I’m afraid that I can’t get one when I need it.

My bet: it is very unlikely the 5ii will get official support for the foreseeable future. There certainly has been no indication of that even possibly happening, unlike the 10ii. The 10ii itself is a year old so if support for that is taking the time that it is, I can’t imagine Jolla supporting any other current phones, unless the manufacturer gets on board and licenses SF.

I would not get a 5ii in the hopes of official support (and I have a 10ii in the hopes it will get support).

3 Likes

Hi all :slight_smile:

@Tobi : wouldn’t extending your contract and getting an Xperia 10 II through your carrier make the phone carrier locked, thus not suitable for SFOS (as per the FAQ) ?

https://jolla.com/sailfishx/

I could also get an Xperia 10 II through my French carrier at 369€, that’s why I’m asking :wink:

Cheers, Sam

Not all carriers engage in such crappy business practices, but definitely a good point to check.
And at €369 there is no reason to go through the carrier, unless availability is becoming an issue.

The SIM lock times should be gone. You should get the phone cheaper on the market instead of your provider. Mine charges 5€ extra per month. That’s why I think of it even if I don’t need it now.

Even the likes of Sony Xperia 5 was never supported. It makes no business logic for Jolla to support it. Would love to have Xperia 5, the last top line phone without 5G.

1 Like

I’ve followed the links that you sent, but I haven’t really been able to find a download for the software. Were you able to find it?

No.
They wrote here that the WiKi information is outdated.

Ohh :frowning: Hopefully we’ll get an ETA soon. Can’t wait! :smiley:

1 Like

I was able to get a 10 ii for around 200€ just a couple of weeks ago. Also through my carrier. But they have released news stating that they don’t carrier lock their phones anymore. Not entirely sure it will be possible to flash, though.