Xperia 10 II + SFOS

The 10 III would be a great successor to the 10 (i)

• much bigger battery
  • water resistant
  • 5G (so hopefully longer usable with Sailfish)
  • OLED (maybe we can have the “Clock” feature also in Saiflish?
  • still a 3.5mm audio jack
6 Likes

All of that except for 5G counts for the 10 II as well, and I don’t think 4G networks are at any risk of being shut down in the first 20 years.

5 Likes

yes 5G ist also not that important for me - would be a nice addon.

But the III has a 4500mAh battery - the II “only” 3600mAh and the current 10 only 2870mAh

I also prefer the 6GB Ram (III) over 4GB (II) - on the 10 i often have apps killed due to insufficient memory…

6 Likes

Well, the 10 III might be supported sometime in 2023 or something like that. :expressionless:

6 Likes

You mean the low-power mode? It’s already there.

1 Like

For the record, @tortoisedoc @PeperJohnny @ivanpetkov13 @makarch @vknecht and anyone else who may be interested:

I’ve put the topic up for discussion in the community meeting this Thursday, 22 April, to find out if Jolla would be willing to come back on their decision regarding the Xperia X. I can’t attend the meeting personally, but if any of you is available and wants to add something, please do partake in the discussion. Regardless of Jolla’s answer, I hope this will provide closure.

6 Likes

Very much appreciated! I am not sure if I can make it on thursday (bunch of other stuff to attend).

Unless jolla emails every customer that bought Xperia X license and gets their permission for Kernel update, I doubt that they will upgrade it, sadly.

EDIT: Though, if all the devices could run the same kernel, it would reduce the maintenance requirements for the devices. But I see it more likely that Xperia X, Jolla C and Jolla Tablet are going to get axed to achieve the same thing.

1 Like

Pardon my ignorance; i take from this the /boot partition (or wherever the kernel resides) is not included in the update. However, kernel fixes are submitted with each release, afaik.

Assuming you aren’t talking about the “pay for a new license” suggestion: why would they have to do that? The terms of the license are that you get software updates for as long as the device is supported, which could be until 2045 or until tomorrow. They don’t say that you will never be required to reflash your device. Regardless, just by looking at user comments, people who bought a license for the Xperia X are overwhelmingly in favour of reflashing their device to have it run modern Android applications, and by now the people who “didn’t mind” Jolla’s decision are probably already using a new device anyway.

4 Likes

Vocal users are definitely supporting kernel upgrade. Maybe even all users if Jolla asked. I am not denying it.

Jolla is going to think what route results less harm / work. Here I can quickly speculate Jolla’s point of view (might be completely wrong):

1. Possibility of getting angry customers since they cannot upgrade their device anymore still exists. Is it worth it to upgrade the kernel?
    1.1 How many want the upgrade vs how many customers there is. Jolla definitely knows the hard number and probably could even estimate how many devices have been upgraded to latest SFOS (i.e. how many devices are in active use).
  2. How much work does it actually require to update and up keep?
    2.1 How long is Xperia X going to be supported anyway vs the amount of work required
    2.2 Time, manpower, time-frame
    2.3 Time and effort to ensure that device does not become more unusable than it is. You cannot upgrade the kernel and let it be worse than it is currently.

i.e. it’s just easier to say no. Only way I could see it happening is that there would be actual benefit in terms of development time if the kernel would be more up to date.

2 Likes

Given Jolla’s track record so far, it’ll be supported until the old kernel becomes too much of a burden, as it was with the Jolla phone running kernel 3.4. Had it had a newer kernel, I’m sure it would still be supported. The same is bound to happen with the Xperia X: if it stays on kernel 3.10, it’ll be discontinued at the same time as the older Jolla C and the even older Jolla Tablet. Anyway, let’s see what Jolla will answer. I’m not hoping for anything, but I think that, in the long run, revisiting their previous decision would benefit them at least as much as it would us.

4 Likes

Aren’t we getting a bit off topic here discussing Xperia X all of a sudden?

7 Likes

Well, the screen touch bug on X10 (including plus) sucks the life out of me, cannot wait any longer and bought an old XA2plus today.

3 Likes
14 Likes

Thanks Jolla for supporting another useless surfboard.
PLEASE EXPAND SAILFISH X TO A MORE COMPACT PHONE! (i.e. Xperia X / Jolla 1-like)

3 Likes

Yay!
But also what a pity it’s not the 5 ii, which would be a bit more powerful.

6 Likes

Can’t believe it is almost here!!! :smile:

2 Likes

Amazing news! Looking forward for the official Jolla support!

1 Like

Come on! Modern compact phones does not exist, let alone any that are open.
So even if Jolla wanted to, they couldn’t do anything about it.

That the Xperia X is smaller than its non-ultra successors is just a myth, please don’t contribute to spreading it.
The only meaningful difference between X/XA2/10/10II is that the 10s are ~14mm taller.

7 Likes