OS VERSION: 4.0+ (I guess)
HARDWARE: X10II, X10III
UI LANGUAGE: Finnish
In low light conditions, in some views more than others, the Ambience background images get blurred and modified in such way that there’s significant amount of color banding visible. It’s almost as if the screen backlight doesn’t go low enough, so the image must be darkened, resulting in lost color information, especially in the dark end of colors. It is of no harm, but it really sticks in an unpleasing way.
Another “symptom” is the colors looking washed-out, especially noticable in the application drawer.
Or, perhaps the gamma setting is off. I don’t really have the vocabulary to describe it further
- Have an X10II or X10III
- Set theme to red-ish (e.g. Fire)
- Set brightness to maximum
- Go to events view (or view a dark photo)
- See that the image quality is fine
- Set brightness to minimum
- Observed image quality doesn’t change
- Severe degradation in image quality, color banding
I thought it was a quirk in my device with X10II, but because it’s even more severe with X10III, I decided to report it.
I cannot currently test this with Android, because data transfer is still underway.