Wrong cursor position (jumping) in some android apps

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100
BUILD ID: 3.3.0.16 Rokua
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): Xperia 10
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): I don’t know

DESCRIPTION:

When using some android apps like dict.cc and yandex browser, when typing something, changing the cursorposition and typing again, the cursorposition does not stay but will jump back to the first used position and add the typed text there (or delete if the delete button is used). The only trick to be able to change something at another position is to switch to the desktop and back into the app. Then again only the first chosen cursor position will work no matter how often or where i put the cursor.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. open dict.cc
  2. type something in
  3. after a few seconds replace the cursor to another position
  4. type something

EXPECTED RESULT:

at the new cursor position should the typed be added

ACTUAL RESULT:

the cursor jumps back to the first position and adds the typed there

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I have made a video so it’s easier to understand, just watch the cursor at the top:
https://streamable.com/4kaq4s

5 Likes

I am seeing this occasionally on Fennec F-Droid, too. IIRC, swiping the keyboard away, and focusing the text field again is a workaround. Certainly a papercut nevertheless.

1 Like

This?
https://together.jolla.com/question/201284/android-text-editing-typed-text-does-not-insert-at-cursor-position/

3 Likes

Having the same problem. Closing (swiping down) and opening the keyboard again works for me.

Still present as of 3.4.0.22 (early access build)

I have the issue also when Opera browser in for example this forum.

July 2022 and this bug is still present on 4.4.0.64, driving me nuts whenever I type something in any Android web browser.

1 Like

Can confirm this bug , in any browser , since a few years noticed on different types of mobiles and builds, i hoped some bugs , new or old would be fixed asap but that’s wishful thinking on my side.

So, is there any chance for this bug to ever be noticed and fixed? It really makes typing text in Android apps a challenge…

I’ve created an internal report about this and tagged it as “tracked”. Thanks for reporting it, and for the updates about it still being present.

2 Likes

Sounds like the same problem I am having, but in case it’s not, I’ll explain:

1. Type some text in WhatsApp
  2. Put the cursor to a previous word (usually when correcting some typo)
  3. See the cursor at the intended position
  4. Start typing
  5. Find the text being added somewhere else, screwing up the entire message