WPA3 router access on 3.4

Some routers now offer the possibility to set wifi passwords to a higher security level i.e. from WPA2 to WPA2+WPA3 or WPA3 e.g. Fritzbox.

I already experienced some problems with older smartphone / tablet hardware without latest updates running on OSes other than Sailfish (e.g. iOS), i.e. no WPA2 access possible anymore after security level had been set to WPA3 or even WPA2+WPA3. Only latest OS up dates seem to allow this.

Can anyone tell me if Sailfish 3.4. allows wifi access to routers when password security of the router has been set to WPA2+WPA3 or WPA3?

2 Likes

For me, WPA2+WP3 worked fine.

Besides OS configuration capabilities, you need to have support for WPA3 in the wireless radio driver of your phone. So you won’t get WPA3 with an OS update if your hardware does not allow it anyway.

But you are talking of compatibility with WPA2+WPA3, and this could be a NetworkManager feature and thus be OS dependent.

1 Like

WPA3 and it’s related security features are mostly software based, as long as the device has a sufficiently strong CPU it can run WPA3, thus OpenWRT has brought WPA3 to a lot of routers that were released when WPA3 was not even a draft yet.

I’m currently rolling out an “Enhanced Open” network (Opportunistic Wireless Encryption, where even though the network is open clients can’t listen to each others’ streams) and sadly SFOS 4.3 still does not support this.

WPA2+WPA3 basically means that the router supports failover to WPA2, so being able to connect to that while not being able to connect to WPA3 would mean you are just connected to WPA2.

I’ll be doing some WPA3 PSK/Enterprise tests soon too I hope…

3 Likes

Hi,
is there any progress observable? Some features needed for WPA3 need hardware support, so not every device supporting wpa2 is capable of wpa3 (especially 802.11w, management frame protection).

Does someone know which relevant Sony Xperia devices support WPA3 running Android?

Thanks!

I’m on SFOS 4.4 and neither WPA3-Enhanced Open nor WPA3-PSK work sadly.

Android 9 added support for WPA3 so assuming that devices released with Android 9 and up support it the Xperia 10 and up all should be able to do it.

As I said previously WPA3 can be implemented in software I saw a live demonstration of that recently with an Intel 8265 wireless adapter (802.11ac from 2016), under Windows 11 it’s drivers are incapable of supporting WPA3, reboot into Linux and suddenly WPA3 is a walk in the park. It could be that there is a performance penalty when the CPU needs to handle 802.11w but that is still better than no WPA3.

1 Like

Before flashing my Xperia 10 III, wifi worked flawless on my network, but after flashing I was stuck without a network connection. I only managed to connect after setting the protected management frame setting in my Unifi panel to optional. I think it’s a software issue on Jolla’s side. I would like to see Protected management frame support implemented.

There’s an updated wpa_supplicant on the way to SFOS, that should fix some issues…

1 Like

AFAICT, SFOS 4.5 is unable to connect to WPA3-only APs. Password dialog thinks it’s WEP, and documentation website also has nothing but WPA2.

Connman 1.41 with WPA3 support was released 31th Januar 2022, but Jolla still is on 1.32

If you care about this, you have to push Jolla hard, I guess. Jolla|s connman repo is on github.

2 Likes

Certainly hoping JollyBoys are able to manage taking care of this now. Unlucky that on the other end, OpenWRT and iOS still aren’t able get along with mixed mode WPA2/WPA3-Mixed Mode: connectivity issues with iOS 15.2 - #24 by t3dc - Installing and Using OpenWrt - OpenWrt Forum :weary: