WireGuard support

As the title suggests. I know its possible to make it work with enough command line magic but included in the normal VPN UI is better.

9 Likes

Wireguard was incorporated into mainline with Linux 5.6 AFAIK, so every device a typical SFOS user deals with would have to get a backport for that to even have that functionality (not even talking about GUI!). Typical Sony devices don’t ship with wireguard kernel modules.

I hope I am wrong :slight_smile:

It doesn’t need to be in the kernel. There are userspace implementations. It just has to be transparent (UI in the os) to the end user.

Someone also made a package for it: https://twitter.com/antranigv/status/1335704265374003203

That is kernel version independent, because it uses the go version.

Hi there! So just last night I built, ported and packaged WireGuard to Sailfish as noted in the tweet above.

While there are many bugs with it, I hope to get them fixed during the next couple of days.

However, there’s a lot of documentation missing on Sailfish, for example, how to know about network change, how to run a program as root without using devel-su/sudo, should I use suid sticky bit? etc.

Hopefully next month I will also release a UI for WireGuard similar to iOS’s version.

If there are any questions let me know.

8 Likes

Do you still work on this? I saw on github the last change is 5 months old.

I’ll probably try out SFOS again with the 10 ii, and I would love to have wireguard support on it.

I have just recently set it up with my iOS device, and its really great to have VPN all the time / on demand whenever wifi goes off.

Default OS support would be good.

4 Likes