Why is that Jolla is still attached to Sony

Reading different topics here and there, I can see that so many customers and developers talk about the possibility of using an easy device to port the sailfishos. So my question, is in case that someone knows something about, what is happening to JOlla that is not opening to an easy device manufacturer than Sony?

And is not just enough because the guy in Sony is a good guy, or because they have a good relation. Cause if they have a good relation , why is that so complicated to Jolla to make a better os without so much bugs like it has.

1 Like

It is quite hard to follow what hou are trying to say. What do you mean with “easy device”? Seems you mean something else than “easy to port to”…

Regarding quality; i believe all android-first/only hardware/drivers has similar issues, so switching won’t help much unless it is fully mainlined.

3 Likes

I fail to see the point you are trying to make.
Do you mean to say you…

*Want newer devices to have a stable Sailfish faster?
*Want the phones of more brands to be supported?
*Want more development effort to put into Sailfish?

All of these require money and effort, so it is a matter of patience.

I really don’t think that Jolla chose to concentrate on Sony devices because they are ‘good guys’ (who on earth would ever say that anyway?), or because they have a good relationship. I assume that Sony’s Open Devices Programme has, all in all, its intended effect: to encourage small development teams to port other Operating Systems to the device.

2 Likes

I can see that you have got the point of my question so far. So not need to be changed.

We all know that Sony is openning some of their devices to the development teams, but are they the only one in the wold doing that? Why another linux based OS like Ubuntu doesnt choose Sony then?

Ubuntu Touch (or, more appropriately, UBPorts) uses the Android kernel, as does /e/, Cyanogen et al. Adapting an Android-based operating system to a new device is much less of an effort than developing your own operating system. Now you hopefully see why development is ‘slow’ and why other ‘alternative’ operating systems support more devices.

3 Likes

Which kernel is using SailfishOS?

My point was not about talking if is slow or fast, is more about why Jolla is not reaching really other mobile phones companies?

It’s a Linux kernel. The meaning of the word ‘Linux’ itself is very different depending on who is talking, but in the strict technical sense, Linux is a nothing more than a kernel. In this case, compiled for ARM processors.

2 Likes

It’s really not that simple. The mobile phone industry is worth billion dollars so there are a lot of interests at play. Some companies would eben seem to have exclusivity deals with that big, evil ‘G’ company so that they are obliged to ship exclusively with Android.

2 Likes

So what you are suggesting is that there is not other company than Sony interested in supporting developers team to create a new OS ?

Just trying to understand

Companies I could think of are Pine, Fairphone and Purism. It is unknown to me wether Jolla has approached them.

It might be one, one more company that could be interested in helping? I dont know.

Why do you need to ‘just understand’ ?, is it because (in most of your threads) you are disappointed with so many problems that SailfishOS has under/on Sony devices?, if so, I implore you to check out the Sony forums and see just how many problems Sony has with its own devices under Android. I saw many similar questions and likenesses to SFOS/forum.

In my limited opinion, this is not a question for this forum anyone can answer. This is a question for HQ and unless you are a prospective business partner, I doubt you will get much in the way of a response.

It is what it is, “Like it or lump it” as the say in the UK.

2 Likes

I just think that is a shame. Thats it.

On the other hand, I started (like many) with Jolla1 some 7 years ago and as such, have been hanging around ‘our’ forums ever since.

I bought a Sony Xperia 10ii a few months back, it came with SFOS 4.2 (Free version) already installed.

I have updated the device twice, both times by CLI. Some minor graphical glitches occurred during the last update, it rebooted twice also, but then proceeded to install and finished properly. My email accounts (5 at this point) are all still working. Camera works, videos play, sounds gets recorded, etc, etc…honeslty, I’m waiting for some kind of f**k up, but they are not forthcoming…BUT, I will add this; currently I do not a suitable SIM for my Sony 10ii, also as it is FREE SailfishOS version, I do not have Android support, so I cannot speak of those things yet, but I do expect to have problems when I get a SIM and the SFOS license. So perhaps I am just seeing things through rose tinted glasses.

I am overall, surprised and pleased with the direction of SFOS currently and as for other hardware?, well, meh, there’s a lot of junk and false promises going on, I get the feeling that Sony is perhaps the best of a ‘bad’ lot.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

In my opinion, is not about the sftware, what I think is genouis. My question is about the hardware.

When choosing a phone, many things to consider:

• Overal build quality, which is good for the Sony phones.
  • Price. Too exepensive will push away many curios users because, after all, the experience is less ideal than Android or iOS.
  • Have official method to unlock bootloader or access kernel/configuration.
  • Other considerations that Jolla probably have.

That limits the available pool of devices to a few. All those low-cost brands don’t have an open device program. And putting 700€ on a device + 50€ for a SFOS licence, all to get sub-par experience won’t make many users happy.

2 Likes

But isnt that Jolla is mostly focused for companies and not for final users? Or has that changed earlier?

Sure, Jolla is to some extent… but the Sailfish X program is not.

4 Likes