Why did home screen did not rotate on landscape?

On tablet and on gemini PDA the home screen did rotate depending on the orientation of the device.I think this should also be on other devices. The handling to switch between two landscape oriented apps would be easier and it should not be a big problem to add this behaviour to the other devices to because on the above listed devices it works.
Is there any reason why this should not be implemented?

Thats indeed i am asking me too on the Smartphones with SFOS

There’s a patch. Just use it…
https://coderus.openrepos.net/pm2/project/sailfishos-default-allowed-orientations-patch

1 Like

I rather recommend Patch: Allow any orientation except inverted portrait for SailfishOS apps | OpenRepos.net — Community Repository System, because with Coderus’ all orientations Patch one easily hold the phone upside down when answering a call … wondering why one can barely hear the other side and vice versa.

4 Likes

I didn’t know about that one, and it will not activate on my X10III. Wonder why…

Log.

Summary

pm_apply 2023-05-06T10:01:32+02:00

sailfishos-patch-freerotate-phone

Using patch file: /usr/share/patchmanager/patches/sailfishos-patch-freerotate-phone/unified_diff.patch

Checking paths for 64-bit → 32-bit conversion

Mangle candidates: /usr/lib/qt5/qml /usr/lib/jolla-mediaplayer /usr/lib/maliit/plugins

Converting library path reference /usr/lib/qt5/qml 1 times

OK, converted 1 library path references and created: /tmp/patchmanager3/patches/sailfishos-patch-freerotate-phone/unified_diff_64bit.patch

Test if already applied patch

can’t find file to patch at input line 7
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:

|#
|# Patch converted to 64bit library paths from its original by Patchmanager > 3.1
|# Date: 2023-05-06T10:01:33+02:00
|#
|— a/usr/lib64/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Silica/Page.qml

+++ b/usr/lib64/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Silica/Page.qml

File to patch:
Skip this patch? [y]
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored

Dry running patch file

can’t find file to patch at input line 7
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:

|#
|# Patch converted to 64bit library paths from its original by Patchmanager > 3.1
|# Date: 2023-05-06T10:01:33+02:00
|#
|— a/usr/lib64/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Silica/Page.qml

+++ b/usr/lib64/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Silica/Page.qml

File to patch:
Skip this patch? [y]
Skipping patch.
1 out of 1 hunk ignored

*** FAILED ***

I have the same on my phones but I always ignore it and keep holding the phone in Landscape orientation and swipe from right to left for App grid and swipe from left to right for Top menu. This works, I only have to read the lettering of the icons from down to up, it’s funny!

Both patches doesn’t work, install yes, activate no

In case of some patches it takes manually editing the patch and changing the path from /usr/lib/ to /usr/lib64/ because the automatic conversion fails for some reason. It looks like it might be the case with this one, too.

1 Like

Good workaround. I wonder, why Jolla did not change it per default on all phones.
It should be ease to do this and it can be a switch a settings to allow or prevent it.
So no workaround is required and the behaviour is the same on all devices … :wink:.

@fingus & @eson, please do file bug reports, preferably at GitHub, so @nephros or @vlagged can analyse what is going wrong: They are the 32/64-bit mangling experts for Patchmanager.

Edit / P.S.: Maybe PM-PR #428, which fixes issue #426 resolves that; the ones affected by this might take a closer look at the issue description. PR #428 will be in PM 3.2.9, which will be released when it is ready (as usual).

3 Likes

Confirmed. After upgrading to patchmanager-3.2.8+fix both patches work.

2 Likes

Patchmanager 3.2.9 is in SailfishOS:Chum:Testing with this and a few more changes for broader testing.

Please provide feedback, if it is working fine, so it can be released at SailfishOS:Chum and OpenRepos.

Edit / P.S.: Ah WTF, the changes are trivial [(in)famous words], so I uploaded it at OpenRepos and submitted it to SailfishOS:Chum.

5 Likes

On XZ2 Compact Tama Port:

I had to enable the Patchmanager-Option “Convert Patches between 32-bit and 64-bit” then both patches working with 3.2.9 after restarting Services.

Wonderful to use the entire OS also in Landscape-Mode.

Why did Jolla disabled it for the Phones? (Bug, Feature?)

If the Home view gets into the landscape, then the Events view should also go landscape.
But the current Events view looks just awful in the landscape. It should be divided into two columns (perhaps excluding the Weather part) to make it nicer. This requires work.

4 Likes

If the Home view gets into the landscape, then the Events view should also go landscape.
But the current Events view looks just awful in the landscape. It should be divided into two columns (perhaps excluding the Weather part) to make it nicer. This requires work.

Understandable

On tablet and Gemini PDA this is no problem :eyeglasses:. So this should not be the reason to prevent landscape mode on other phones :thinking:.

It is absolutely fine for me this way since 2015 on all SailfishOS devices I have.

It should be divided into two columns (perhaps excluding the Weather part) to make it nicer.

IMO, exactly the other way around:
If the Home view is displayed in the landscape orientation, the Events view should also be displayed landscape orientation. The current Events view looks just fine in landscape orientation. It could be divided into two columns, but this must exclude the Weather part, because that would look awful and vastly decrease usability / legibility.

Hence the extremely simple change (take look at the unified-diff files of the aforementioned two Patches) is all it needs from my PoV. The two column Events view, which indeed would require some work, is not necessary.

BTW, this not at all different on the Jolla Tablet and Gemini PDA, which already do exactly this, if I understand correctly.

1 Like