Whisperfish - The unofficial SailfishOS Signal client

Getting an error in whisperfish when android app scans the QR code (or maybe it’s timeout as getting the screenshot out over BT to another device to display it for the android client takes a while, or maybe it’s for unique devices and you can’t link two clients on same device by design like they kick each other out, looks like without desktop client it’s kind of unusable)

Exactly this. I’m not sure how long the time-out is, but there is definitely one. Signal Android and Whisperfish cannot know of each other’s existence on the same device.

Whisperfish is usable without the Desktop application or a linked application, but you’ll have to ask your other contacts to send you the first message for now.

1 Like

Thanks! Knowing it’s time critical I speedran the whole thing again and now it works, chat continued from android app showed in whisperfish now that they’re linked, awesome

I was able to link Whisperfish with android Signal client on the same device using Screencast.

2 Likes

same here. this is a screenshot.

On my also connected linux the Pictures are ok …

Thanks, the screenshot has a clue! For some reason, Whisperfish can’t load the image properly, and fails to (well, stays at really) the blurhash thumbnail of the image.

Also “it works in beta.19 but not in beta.20” is an important detail here (and it helps hunting down the issue).

Could you please create an issue for this in Gitlab, and attach the screenshot there? Any chance you could attach terminal logs there (don’t forget to sanitize them first)?

I will try to create a log to find the problem. Meanwhile i see that not all pictures are invisible.
Some of them i can view and download, the invisible i cannot download on my phone.
So i download one invisible and one viewable picture on my linux system to see the different.
Strangewise :nerd_face: both pictures have the same format except the name suffix …
Here the output on my linux …

gabs@s2:~/Downloads $ file IMG_6225.jpg 
IMG_6225.jpg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01, aspect ratio, density 1x1, segment length 16, baseline, precision 8, 1600x1200, components 3
gabs@s2:~/Downloads $ file signal-2023-08-19-072056.jpeg 
signal-2023-08-19-072056.jpeg: JPEG image data, JFIF standard 1.01, aspect ratio, density 1x1, segment length 16, baseline, precision 8, 2048x873, components 3

The first one is visible the second not …

I don’t know if you have thought about this but when I archive a conversation and mute a contact, the message is still displayed in open app grid or whatever it’s called. Just a little annoying if I don’t want to see messages from someone at all right now.

Also regarding archived conversations, when I archive and exit the app there is no longer unarchive option, I have to archive another conversation ant then enter archived conversations to unarchive both.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting!

Archived conversations shouldn’t be displayed in the cover page, that’s definitely a bug!

Edit: reported and fixed!

Do you mean that you can’t enter the archived conversations after restart, or you can’t un-archive a conversation after restart? I just tested this with beta.20(-dirty) and it worked as expected for me with SFOS 4.5. What’s your SFOS version?

1 Like

Hi,
I previously had successfully linked my iPad to Whisperfish (primary). I think, around about the time of the last update it stopped working though. I thus tried to remove this link though, and I have since tried to relink the iPad without success. The iPad shows an error, after scanning the QR code in Whisperfish.
I have managed to link Signal desktop on linux.
Is this something that should work? It did used to work.
Is it worthwhile me raising an issue and logs?
Thanks for all the work on the wonderful software. It is fantastic,
Justin.

Definitely worth raising an issue. We don’t have iPads to test this with, so logs will help us. If you can give us some more information about what you’re seeing on the iPad-side, that will also help.

Thanks!

1 Like

Apparently archived conversations option missing from top menu was due to me using it for the first time, now it works like it should. But a while after receiving a message, conversation came back to active conversations and I had to rearchive it.

If I use Whisperfish as primary, is there a limit how many secondary Signals I can use? Like using android Signal on both phone and tablet?

I’m not aware of any limits! And if Signal imposes such a limit, I don’t believe you will reach it through “normal” use :slight_smile:

That said, I don’t think Signal Android can be configured as a secondary device! The only official secondary clients that I know, are Signal iPad and Signal Desktop. Unofficial secondary clients are Whisperfish, Flare, and the others of the Whisperfish family :wink:

So you can only set ipad as a secondary device for Whisperfish only because you can in Signal? I don’t know why I got my hopes up. Should have gone with microsoft tab and linux on it instead of an android tablet.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply. I have never been on gitlab before, but I think using your great wiki I have collected and censored logs and raised and issue.
Linking of iPad as secondary device currently not working - it has previously worked
I would, of course, be very eager to provide further information if it would be useful.
Thanks again for your help,
Justin

2 Likes

The Signal upstream applications are indeed the problem. You can register the Android tablet as primary device, and link Whisperfish as secondary, as alternative.

Molly, a hardened and actively maintained fork of Signal for Android, will soon release a new version that will support being a linked device on Android. I would advise waiting for valldrac to release that! He told me today it will very soon be published. Please do let me know if linking would somehow fail there.

There is also Beeper, but I advise against it.

@direc85, I think we want a Wiki article that contains all that information, to document the different kinds of setup that are possible ^

3 Likes

@turmelus1 Molly has released the linked device feature.

I have also created a wiki entry to document the different possible setups. Comments, critique and merge requests are welcome!

7 Likes

I just tried to set up Molly on my Xperia 10 II through a rather convoluted series of steps (create the code in Molly, take a screenshot of it, send that to my computer with Sailfish Connect, open the screenshot on my computer, scan it with CodeReader on the phone, then copy the code to Whisperfish). However, as soon as I add the code to Whisperfish, Molly sends out a notification that it’s ‘ready to receive messages’ and then immediately crashes. When I reopen Molly, nothing appears to have been saved and I have to start over again. If anyone is able to get past this step, please let me know how!

1 Like

I have contacted valldrac, let’s see whether we can debug this somehow! Thanks for testing!