Whisperfish - The unofficial SailfishOS Signal client

Oh no, sorry about that. I realize that might have seemed passive-aggressive. It is legitimately the thing I want most in Whisperfish, and I am truly wondering whether there’s any other app that has video call (voice call is obviously built in, the telephone app kinda does that :joy:).

So it’s me who should apologize, I should have made my statement more clear. I would never use a passive-aggressive tone out of nowhere, or where text can be interpreted in multiple ways. :heart:

1 Like

So now we have both apologized for something we did not intend to do :joy:

1 Like

Voice was present on Yottagram through a voicecall-ui plugin. I think there were issue with 4.5 but got resolved (?).
Video is an option now… using the browser. I had a mixed experience with an experimental hydrogen-web build.

But truth be told, I think we need a confederation of IM apps, at least on front/UI level. Some things get implemented over and over again. I know from my user experience that “mark as read” or “scrolling to last unread” are done differently in: 1. sailtrix 2. sailslack 3. fernschreiber 4. whisperfish.

This is, from my recollection, also one of the pain points of not having a newer Qt. That qml list… has some goodies in 5.6+. If we have an approximation (polyfill they say, thes days) it would be good to share it across projects.

2 Likes

Cool, I can take some inspiration from there :slight_smile:

That’s something I’ll never allow in Whisperfish. Browser-based anything does not fit the privacy guarantees and security model of Signal (and frankly, it’s incompatible with Telegram’s claim of security too). It’s good to know it exists, however.

Truth be told, we have that. It’s telepathy. Having WF as a Telepathy plugin would be very cool, but I think the main problem is that all those messaging services have slightly incompatible feature sets. So Telepathy itself might need some patching.

It’s been in the back of my head for a long time, and the recent refactoring efforts by me and @Sfiet_Konstantin should help quite a bit towards this.

1 Like

About telepathy: maemo-leste got some funding to develop it.

4 Likes

That’s very interesting, looking forward to reading what they do :slight_smile:

Sorry if the question is already answered in this thread, but i cannot find it :eyeglasses:.
Is it possible to set and/or change the own identity in whisperfish?
At the moment my identity is empty and on remote side only the phone number is shown (this is not very constructive). Lokal my messages are displayed as ‘you’.
I see that the file ‘config.yml’ contains my phone number beginning with country code and the uuid.
But there is no information about my identity …
Many thanks for any hint Gabriel

Not yet, but you can edit it in Signal Desktop if you have it linked! Click on your profile left hand upper corner, on your profile again, and then edit :slight_smile:

1 Like

There is still maemo funding (and development)!?

It is from a bug report, therefore I didn’t want to ask there, but @pherjung mentioned here https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/webview-camera-video-has-a-blue-tint/14878/2 that hydrogen can do video callings (although tinted blue).

1 Like

First, I’m new to sailfish and complete linux noob so please help me. When I try to register to whisperfish after solving captcha I get “the adress wasn’t understood” and that I might need to install other software. Signal is running on my phone as an android app, does that matter?

Hi @turmelus1! The captcha is currently broken on the release. However, you may want to register your Whisperfish as secondary device instead, and link it to your Android app. You’ll need to get a bit creative to transfer the QR code in time, which might take you a few tries, but that’s a slightly more robust way of setting up Whisperfish.

It’s tinted blue on some devices. I’m going to try some team testing with @pherjung of the builds that @vlagged is making. It’s still early days, but web-rtc does work on the browser and in WebViews.

1 Like

That’s pretty cool indeed! I’m very ambitious, however, and I’d like to implement it in Qt, natively :wink:
Good to know webrtc works in a webview, however.

2 Likes

A new release by @direc85 and myself. This contains a large rewrite of the GUI glue code, future proofing for new features, improving performance (especially noticable on Xperia 10 and Jolla), and fixing a lot of UI inconsistencies. The trade-off is that typing notifications are currently unimplemented and the unread count on the cover page is not updated.

This also fixes the regular crashes that corrupt sessions. If you have persons with which you cannot exchange messages, you can trigger a secure session reset, by enabling developer mode in the settings, and pulling down on the contact’s contact page.

For me, personally, this release changed Whisperfish from “it works” to an app that’s pleasant to use. I’m extremely happy with this release :slight_smile:

Whisperfish 0.6.0-beta.15

Overhauls the QML binding system. This should fix all UI inconsistencies, except for a few that are now introduced.

131 files changed, 11799 insertions(+), 10174 deletions(-)

The release should soon be available on OpenRepos.

Meanwhile, since @direc85 has been contributing a lot to Whisperfish lately, I have set up a Liberapay Team. I imagine Gabriel Féron also joining in there soon. If you consider donating to us, please also match your donation towards Signal. They rely on your money.

12 Likes

Thanks for the new version and your efforts with WF!

Couple of things that I noticed with the beta 15:

• Safety numbers vanished. There is just three dots in place of the safety numbers.
  • Version number still says “Whisperfish v0.6.0-dev” in the About screen.

When I updated to the beta 15 with Storeman, the WF didn’t get killed during the installation. I went back from Storeman to WF and it still running. So, maybe the update didn’t go well in my case…
Storeman insists though that “available version beta 15” and “installed version beta 15”.
Somehow, I have suspicions about that…

1 Like

Not familiar with the internals, but do you have the option enabled to run in background? That would explain this: the “old” version just kept running and its GUI was activated when you tapped the launcher again.
Go to Settings in WF and tap “Quit Whisperfish”, then start the new version.

Also: installations shouldn’t kill running applications anyway so that expectation is wrong in the first place.

Ahaa, thanks for the clarification! On the android side of things in Sailfish the running app is killed always when I update via Aurora Store, so I took that as granted that it happens on SF side also. Now I know better.

I have never had background running option enabled.
And I did reboot couple of times after updating, but didn’t make any change.
Does it help if I re-install WF?
I do not loose my conversations if I do that, if I remember correctly…(?)

Whisperfish doesn’t currently have a mechanism to detect an update having happened (maybe we should change this at some point). There install scripts don’t close Whisperfish either - it’s safer to let the user close and restart Whisperfish.

Welp, it looks like the release version bug still isn’t fixed. I just reopened the bug.

Are others seeing safety numbers of contacts?
I see only three dots in place of the safety numbers with the new beta 15 version.