Whisperfish - The unofficial SailfishOS Signal client

Do you mean the pro or the counter position was reversed rapidly?

They used to be against it, but people said that that was a stupid way of thinking because platforms outside of Android, iOS and desktop will probably never get an official Signal client. I donā€™t think the Signal developers ever said they changed their minds, they (Signal) just stopped complaining about it. In any case, I donā€™t think they ever blocked any third parties from accessing their services.

Will this make it in the official store once its ā€œcompleteā€ or it cant???

As of now, we canā€™t, I think. Iā€™ve put ā€œRust as an application languageā€ forth as a topic on the next community meeting.

Iā€™d be hesitant to post it to the Jolla store in its current for, but if it gets a bit more polished (and weā€™re moving fast!), Iā€™d be all for itā€¦ if Jolla agrees :wink:

Iā€™ve pushed an emergency alpha.5 that fixes the contact selection. It uses the native Sailfish/Silica contact selection now. A lot nicer :slight_smile: Full changelog on OpenRepos!

3 Likes

Ah, fantastic.

I have no prior experience with Signal, but is it posisble to show only contacts that have a Signal account? If it is based on phone numbers, that should work, not?
I can imagine non-Signal contacts get a low-contrast color, Signal contacts get a high-contrast color.

Iā€™ve been working on exactly that today, @marcelpol, but due to circumstances it wonā€™t be in Whisperfish very soon. We need some further modernisation in the code first: https://gitlab.com/rubdos/whisperfish/-/issues/133

At this point, since it Workingā„¢ for Most Peopleā„¢, I am going to take my time to finish beta.1. Iā€™m not sure whether registered contact filtering will be in there, or even what form itā€™ll take, but at least with the above links, you can track the progress!

3 Likes

Thank you. I will follow that :slight_smile:

Hey guys,
first of all thank soooo much for working on this app! In my opnion it it is one of the most important apps that are missing in Sailfish!

Here is my tiny bug: the registration procedure allows only one time to enter the registration code sent by SMS. When you type in the wrong code you are lost and there is no proper loop back. So I had to kill the app and testart the process again (new SMS and so on).

I play with SonyXA2, SF 3.4.0.24, Wisperfish 0.6.0-beta1

1 Like

Thanks! Iā€™ve taken note about that on the issue tracker.

I see youā€™re on ā€œbeta.1ā€, but thatā€™s probably a nightly build? You might want to write that down too, you can find the commit/build ID in the about screen :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a quick note that I pushed an intermediate alpha.6 to OpenRepos two days ago, because some people still had trouble after registering their account. The fix has been in the master branch for a while, but it occurred more often than I hoped. As bonus, it has a redesigned conversation page, I think youā€™ll all like it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Got it running now. Sending and recieving messages works. Thanks for continuing Whisperfish development!

FWIW, this was a problem with registration through the alpha.5 client, this is supposedly fixed in alpha.6 for new installs and in master for remnants of 0.5 installs. Welcome to the club, @tmichel :slight_smile:

Hey Guys,

and first of all thank you very much for putting so much time an effort into this.
I have a simple question:
If I try to install whisperfish via storeman it installs alpha.3. I can start it and after putting in my password I see all of my old messages, but it does not connect (websocket disconnected). I am on a Oneplus X, which only has SailfishOS 3.1.0.12. I suspect that might be the problem here? Am I right with that?

Thanks again,

Hi, welcome! Storeman should be installing alpha.6 by now, you might want to check why that doesnā€™t update. beta.1 will require SailfishOS 3.3 for minimum, but thereā€™s no such constraint on alpha.6 and lower.

alpha.3 lacks many features and has quite some bugs, please donā€™t use that any more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think many have probably seen the news : https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/01/whatsapp-users-must-share-their-data-with-facebook-or-stop-using-the-app/

More reasons to thank @rubdos and all the efforts to provide a native Signal app.

7 Likes

These things are to be expected from a FB-owned company. Iā€™m actually quite surprised they took so long. Letā€™s all thank the people at OWS too, they kicked off a very nice service, Android and iOS app :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Youā€™re replacing one centralized service with another. Better privacy though, but still. I prefer Matrix.

It took so long because they first promised not to do so.
They needed some time to let users forget it.

3 Likes

well, letā€™s see if the european commission has forgotten as well.

3 Likes