Whisperfish - The unofficial SailfishOS Signal client

404, what. Does this happen with all your contacts, or just with one?

cant test i have only one signal contact :slight_smile:

Feel free to send me a DM if you want to test with me! My thought is the following: your contact recently re-registered. It would explain the 404 error (which I should handle as a bug), but doesnā€™t explain that you cannot receive any messages. Could you figure out whether this was the case?

If so, you can use the ā€œuntrusted identityā€ workaround, and then use Signal Desktop to reset the session (or ask your contact to do that).

this workaround works for me, apparently even without session reset, just delete identity file and send another message.

Is there any harm in just deleting all the identity files instead of doing it case-by-case?

Depends purely on your security model. By removing the identity files, you effectively reset the trust-on-first-use mechanism, which means that in theory someone could spoof a sender. This is what you want in case someone re-registered, because their identity in fact changed, and you need to receive and accept the new one.

To sum up: if you donā€™t fear that someone will try to impersonate some of your contacts (for which, by the way, Signal has to co-operate quite a bit), there shouldnā€™t be a lot of harm.

We call this family of issues ā€œautomatic re-TOFUā€ (courtesy of @mjtorn, short for automatic retrust on first use), and the checklist for fixing them is here: Auto-reTOFU checklist (#304) Ā· Issues Ā· Whisperfish / Whisperfish - Signal on Sailfish OS Ā· GitLab

1 Like

Apparently Whisperfish does not work properly under SFOS 4.2 ā€¦

App does not show anything while the process is running and using memory and CPU power. Can only be killed with kill <PID>

I was just about to write an announcement that indeed, Whisperfish does not start on 4.2. This was already known for four months now, but only now I also have my hands on it. I will be trying this week to get it back alive, before the ā€œrealā€ release, hopefully.

Iā€™m sorry for the inconvenience this causes.

8 Likes

Thank you for the feedback - and even more so for the Whisperfish!

4 Likes

thanks for your effort @rubdos ! I upgraded to 4.2 EA and Iā€™m missing Whisperfish :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m gonna try to fix it on Saturday morning, but no promises. It doesnā€™t sound and look easy and quick at first sight. Otherwise Iā€™ll probably take a day off next week for it.

10 Likes

ok thanks for your answer and appreciate the hard work!

1 Like

Thank you! Really appreciated here, just upgraded to 4.2 and missing it myself. Best of luck with the fix.

Since yesterday, we had a working version. Iā€™ve cleaned everything up a bit, and Iā€™m compiling beta.6. For those interested in the technical background, you can read my comment here https://github.com/woboq/qmetaobject-rs/issues/102#issuecomment-919798690

The good news is: this version still works on 3.4 through 4.2, Better news is that this removed a very hacky way of having Qt and Tokio agree with each other, and introduces a very clean way. Even better news: this works towards compatibility with other operating systems.

Expect beta.6 later tonight on Openrepos. Meanwhile, Iā€™ve been working and making progress on getting Whisperfish compile in standard Sailfish SDK environments, which would make a very bright future for Rust on SailfishOS.

Many thanks go out to @flypig and @direc85 for helping to test this and the SDK rework!

18 Likes

thanks very much! just upgraded on my 10 II / 4.2.0 and it works, great!!!

2 Likes

Trying beta6. So far, still no sms received for registration (after about 30 minutes). How long is it usually?

Fun issue comment! Thanks for laying it out in such detail. It will very probably be of utility to others connecting QT signaling in a rust context!

2 Likes

Should be seconds, not minutes. Definitely something wrong, somewhere. Can you provide a log, maybe in DM?

Hello, I installed it on 10ii 4.2 and had successful registration, but contacts cannot receive my messages of send to me.

Hi! Sorry for the inconvenience. Can you capture a log while you send one of those contacts a message, and then send it to me (or even better, make an issue on Gitlab)?

Here is an excerpt of log when failing to register:

SearchService.js, line 4049: TypeError: this._defaultEngine is null
JavaScript error: jar:file:///usr/lib/xulrunner-qt5-45.9.1/omni.ja!/components/nsSearchService.js, line 4049: TypeError: this._defaultEngine is null