Whisperfish - The unofficial SailfishOS Signal client

Certainly not just you! Contact discovery is simply not yet implemented.

That said, there’s more that doesn’t work yet: creating a group certainly won’t do a thing yet (only the UI element is there, and that too should be updated). If you want to test your installation, feel free to send me a message. You should be able to figure out my +32 from my website.

Great to hear it worked well for you.

Installing Whisperfish on a newly flashed Xperia 10ii (4.1) yesterday I found that initially I couldn’t complete registration.

The CAPTCHA appeared fine and I received a text message from Signal but the App wouldn’t move on to the input screen to allow me to input the code.

I discovered that this wasn’t an issue with the App but the OS install. There have been reports that, for instance, your wifi password isn’t properly saved the first time you install 4.1 but that after a reboot it is. This seems to be a similar issue. Having installed 4.1 on the Xperia 10ii I experienced a number of situations where Apps would not function correctly if they relied on the saving of a file or password etc. (e.g. the new Audio Recorder App wouldn’t show recordings after they were made although the audio files had been created).

After I rebooted the phone however and went through the unlock routines these issues around the saving of credentials seem to have fixed themselves. I could then register Whisperfish without problem and the App moved through the registration process without difficulty allowing me to enter the verification code and finish the process.

If anyone experiences similar issues then a reboot after the initial flashing of the OS might help.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! I had indeed two other reports of this behaviour; I summarized it here: https://gitlab.com/whisperfish/whisperfish/-/issues/355. I’ll add your comment to that too.

This may indeed be due to the privilege system, if it’s indeed OS-related and not Whisperfish-related. However, IIRC @marxistvegan had this issue already on 4.0; could you confirm that?

1 Like

However, IIRC @marxistvegan had this issue already on 4.0; could you confirm that?

Confirmed it was on 4.0.

1 Like

Thanks @rubdos edited ~/.config/harbour-whisperfish/harbour-whisperfish.conf; however, at least a video attachment worked fine with /home/nemo/ -path.

Interesting. At risk of stating the obvious: if you have nemo as your username, you shouldn’t change it, of course.

10II was flashed with an ea image; so no user nemo (and I double-checked in dev mode; no /home/nemo).

I’ve just tried Whisperfish on my XA2 Plus with 4.1. Since I’m not ready to give up on (video)calling yet, I decided to set it up instead using my landline. Managed to sign up by using the ‘call me’ option instead of receiving a text. Took a while for the captcha to show, but it did work after about 10 to 15 seconds.

Now, it reports it’s connected and I can send messages, but they never arrive. I have tried sending messages to my own cellphone number as well as another contact that I know uses signal. The messages end up with a single checkmark, which - if it’s the same as with the Android app - means it reached their servers, but not the recipient.

What’s also interesting is that if I try to send a message using the Android app to my landline (which uses Whisperfish) it wants to send an unencrypted sms, meaning it doesn’t think that number uses Signal.

To be expected, that’s the :poop:load of Google’s reCAPTCHA Javascript loading. Nothing to do there, except wait for yet another Gecko update from Jolla :wink:

FYI, secondary checkmarks are currently broken for 1:1 messages, and I’m currently unsure what exactly is going on. Shouldn’t be a biggie, but hasn’t been a priority yet. I’ll put it up a bit on the list, because it’s at least very annoying :slight_smile:

That said, you’re the second person today to report that messages do not arrive. Could you test by running Whisperfish on command line (harbour-whisperfish --verbose) , sending a message, and having a look at the log? If it reads HTTP 500 on /v1/message/UUID-HERE, it’s the same issue, and I have to take it doubly serious!

Well, that’s peculiar. If the registration went through, it really should work. Can you try sending a message the other way around, seeing whether that works? Looks like there’s at least a bit of regression in the beta.1 registration procedure…

I don’t see any UUIDs to be honest. I see something like this:

[2021-05-16T19:58:24Z DEBUG libsignal_service_actix::push_service] HTTP request PUT https://textsecure-service.whispersystems.org/v1/messages/<my number>
[2021-05-16T19:58:25Z DEBUG libsignal_service_actix::push_service] AwcPushService::put response: 
    ClientResponse HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error
      headers:
        "content-type": "application/json"
        "date": "Sun, 16 May 2021 19:58:25 GMT"
        "x-signal-timestamp": "1621195105392"
        "connection": "keep-alive"
        "content-length": "110"

[2021-05-16T19:58:25Z TRACE libsignal_service_actix::push_service] Unhandled response with body: Ok(b"{\"code\":500,\"message\":\"There was an error processing your request. It has been logged (ID 450ac2657a8b5efa).\"}")

I don’t quite understand what you mean with “sending a message the other way around”. I’ve tried sending messages from Whisperfish to Android - they don’t arrive, with the 500 error being the likely suspect. Android wants to either send an unencrypted sms, or “invite the number to signal”. I cannot send a signal message from Android to Whisperfish, it won’t let me.

1 Like

Can confirm, same Error 500.
It might be on their end, or maybe it is from a change in EA 4.1.0 that triggers their 500.

I confirm too, I tested on two numbers. On X10ii, sending messages from whisperfish aren’t received by the other device with the same 500 error message.
However, I can send messages from the other device (signal) and they got received quite fine in whisperfish.

I was still able to send messages myself, on 4.1 today. Maybe region bound, but since most of us are EU-based…

I’m quite hesitant to ping Moxie/OWS on this one, but 500 is basically impossible for me to debug.

For me, it’s a fresh installation of Whisperfish, and I created one of the signal accounts directly from whisperfish too. Don’t know if that helps.

1 Like

More data finds correlation, that’s always good. I think @marcelpol has been a long time user now though, no?

I am using 4.1.0 EA, and previously installed and activated Whisperfish works as expected. One thing popped into my mind: have you restarted your phone a few times after the 4.1.0 update? There are some weird permission related issues (IIRC) which get fixed in the second reboot.

1 Like

Yes, the device got its share of multiple reboots.
I’ll see tomorrow if I can get more meaningful debug logs.

1 Like

I have been using Whisperfish for some months already, but had to resort to a new profile after updating from a slightly funny git-version went haywire. It was discussed on IRC (nickname mpol).

But yes, an error 500 should be logged on the server, without giving any dangerous information to the client. Apparently whisperfish is sending something that the server doesn’t expect. Looking at the log would reveal it. Both sides, server and client, can improve on this, I would think contacting someone who has access to the logs would be a good thing.

For future reference, that was 19th of April.

Yes. But on the other hand, this kind of issue is exactly why Signal doesn’t/didn’t like third-party clients in the first place.

I’m still seeing my messages pass through. Let’s hope I get affected too, then there’s more incentive and possibility for research.

As a workaround, it seems like Signal Desktop can still send messages independently of Whisperfish; so you can install Signal Desktop and link it up.

@orangecat, @marcelpol, @direc85, I’ve done a small write-up at https://gitlab.com/whisperfish/whisperfish/-/issues/356. Would you all agree that these troubles started around/after Wednesday?