Where to go after Sailfish?

I use Threema (Libre) for video calls and it worked flawlessly on my XA2. Not very expensive and imho the best / a good communication app.

Jitsi Meet works fine with Alien Dalvik and also Waydroid.

And yes @Kea , Sailfish OS’s design is most beautiful and the best os which I know!

2 Likes

Yes, and FOSS Telegram also works, more or less. But not Fernschreiber. It’s not possible in the Sailfish system to have a video call. This really is an omission because many people want to use it.

Videocalls. Yes people like that and my family uses it too.

But I sometimes wonder if that’s really future proof. (or maybe I, am not)
Indeed, videocalls need much more bandwidth than audio. (10x, 100x 1000x?)
This means more data transmission, more resources to compute the video on both sides, more energy…
Well, just a remark, that’s a bit OT anyway.

Once a week we have a videocall with family on Facetime (ipadmini). They live abroad. We use Jitsi with the whole family at birthdays.
Every picture or video or gif you send takes data, good to realise.

Ditto. Although I think I contribute enough other stuff, I’m a firm believer in putting my money where my mouth (err, src) is.

On the other hand, although I recognize why Jolla goes with the open devices program and has a focus on growing automotive, I really expect a bit more effort in the direction of volla/fairphone/pine and co. (goes off looking for loose VC capital).

HW companies are the ones to look for alternative OSs not Jolla. However i firmly believe Jolla should make its own hardware. I think this will also benefit the automotive part.

1 Like

Hardware, as we can see from the ports of SFOS, is exchangeable. The OS, from ‘our’ vantage point is not. But, you’re just underlining my point. The three HW companies I mentioned (one of which is just a Gigaset reseller) are already distributing alternatives. Although FP less so.

When Volla first went to market, they explicitly advertised the ability to install SFOS. And supported it (via UBports). And so, I bought a phone from them. I see no evidence that Jolla supported that effort, but I’d have to ask @piggz to clarify who hired him to do the port. I don’t think it was jolla???

3 Likes

Its not a question if you can port SFOS to some piece of HW. Is about making it work as good as possible on it. And a company can optimize its own SW on its own HW better compared to having to rely on other peoples SW/HW.

Define, ‘own hardware’. I’ve manufactured some hardware. But almost none of the components I ‘assembled’ were of my design or manufacture.

Even if Jolla were to ‘assemble’ a phone of their own, they’d be using components as found in the xperias, the pinephone, the volla phone.

My point was that the whole stack works rather well, despite Jolla’s focus on Sony. And as my experience on Volla demonstrates, ports sometimes have LESS issues than ‘core’ devices.

Of course, I’m struggling with GLES2 on the vollas at the moment. But I’m going to help fix that.

If Jolla was mine, I’d definately open up some other deals with someone like Volla. Delegate customer support to them, ahoi!

2 Likes

SoC that you can have control of every driver (or at least you can fix yourself) and run on mainline stuff. Something along these lines.

If you’re small it’s impossible to have control over h/w or you end up using old outdated one. Same for supporting h/w drivers unfortunately.

3 Likes

are not ‘own’ hardware unless you’re a foundry like Samsung. Or you have very deep pockets. Apple has demonstrated that software can drive manufacturing with Ios.And for all they’re abilities, Apple still outsources to TSMC.

My point, however, was that there are already very promising other hardware platforms on which SFOS runs. That’s a horizontal market opportunity imho. But I have no idea how many people are working on what projects a Jolla that are not SFOS. And, to me, SFOS looks like a loss leader which is a pity.

Anyhow Jolla/Sailfish should make plans for the future. Jolla doesn’t have enough capital to revive Jolla 1 into a better one, so it is forced to port to an already existing device. Which means: bugs that hardly can be solved in the period that Sony puts it on the market. This is not a sustainable policy. Some of us will have had more than 40 devices when they are 74.
Comparison: my daughters still use their iphone 5s and 6s.
Why does Jolla stick to Sony while Gigaset also offers customisation and the possibility to port officially? Will Gigaset be prepared to listen to the demands of Jolla? Talk, Jolla!
Could Jolla ask for two sizes, like the XA2 and the XA2+ ?
By the way, I have laid my Jolla 1 to sleep again and I temporarily use a Nokia N9 as my GSM. Can do that cos I’m retired. What an excellent device that must have been!

6 Likes

Jolla should quit with all the Sony BS at speed, because nowadays its a known fact that it doesn’t work fully satisfying for years and device is no more available when SFOS version is well engineered after abt. 2 years. Jolla should proceed with Volla or directly with the Gigaset manufacturer. Also Jolla should consider not to focus on one manufacturer but should have 2 or 3 alternatives. And only one available screen size with 22:9 ratio is also inacceptable for continuance. Some people like bigger screens, some want a smaller device. Offering only one size is no way.

3 Likes

I fully agree. Fairphone, Volla, Shiftphone - all are European companies. They should talk to another…
And since german Telekom started with own devices - why not team up with a provider to get a notable market share?

3 Likes

it’s nice to live in a small EU world.
but other parts of the world have Sony phones in every store, unlike those ‘brands’

1 Like

Sure, I just wanted to name some options for real hardware-software collaboration that might be easier within the EU (especially as the projects with Intex in India and Jala in South America weren’t successful as it seems).
I didn’t say they should drop Sony.

1 Like

well it’s a problem if you want small phone. TBH Sony being big is slim so it’s way easier to hold it than for example something of the size of a frying pan like Volla.

4 Likes

I also think Jolla maybe should bring a bigger alternative for hardcore media use. Xperia 10 III is barely acceptable for that. Although i like the compact 6" size. Good for my fingers, and fits in my pocket nicely.

1 Like