Where to go after Sailfish?

Was android important to you? I’ve lost track.

Good question. Android cannot compete with Finnish design. And I like Finnish design more that Apple’s. Sometimes you want an app that Sailfish doesn’t have, so I read the Guardian on my XA2+. Installed with Aurora.
Someone who was with Sailfish in the past complained about banking. So I checked if the app of my bank worked on my Sailfish device by installing it with Aurora. It worked. Actually I don’t need it on my phone. But who am I? I am retired and free, so I can do banking with my computer.
I did not use a covid app, another argument for some.
Playing beautiful games on a small screen, seeing films, no, not for me. So I hardly have Android apps on my device. Maybe Jolla should make an inquiry about what features and what apps most people want?
Personally I miss the possibility to make video calls and sharing is also a burden.

3 Likes

Shared with my old ipadmini.
1 = iphone 3 Gs, 2009, unusable
2 = Jolla 1, 2014, still usable but low performance
3 = Xperia X with Sailfish, crashed, unusable;
4 = Xperia XA2 with Sailfish, still in use by my husband;
5 = Xperia XA2+ With Sailfish, still in use at home;
6 = Xperia 10 III with Sailfish

7 Likes

Jolla needs Angel Capital. I don’t think the many ports that there are now (Graphene, Postmarkets, Volla, /e/OS, KaiOS, Librem) will ever have impact as a real alternative to Google and Apple. I still believe that the initial aim of Jolla is valid. Listen to the EU that is demanding repairability. Forget Chinese money and Russian owners.

3 Likes

Got a hamradio license as well:)

1 Like

I have X, XA2 and 10 II. 10 II is what I am using daily since 1y already. I think it is much better than XA2. When I looked at 10 III I did not find a reason buying it - there is no advantage, rather disadvantage.
If I were you I would try buying 10 II. Even used one would work.

1 Like

I have a 10 II and it’s considerably slower than something like the Volla/GS290. I also find the fingerprint unit on the 10 II a pita. If it weren’t for the stupid selfy camera, I’d highly recommend the GS290. The port is really stable (thanks @piggz !) and it has reasonable battery life.

5 Likes

this is the biggest problem right now imho and is huge resource waste. But as we can see in the other topics, there are many “shouters” who want new phone every year. So instead of getting more stable OS, we get new phone supported with more problems that need to be fixed.
Now there is of course a need for new phone to get new functionality like VoLTE and 5G or whatever will come next but expect of that, not much. Yet there’s also problem with financing. Right now SFOS has lifetime license. This is somehow good but also somehow bad. It force Jolla to support new phones otherwise the amount of people paying would be lower with every month. This is “easy” solvable if the SFOS licensing would be changed from lifetime to subscription. Then it can even go lower say instead of 49EUR/lifetime it could go 10EUR/year. But few problems need to be reconsidered. One is android support, second is ugly Exchange. Well maybe it could be a hybrid then? Exchange for lifetime and the rest subscription?
I think I’ll put this to community discussion. I know it has been already mentioned etc but years are passing and it’s like moving in a circle. There must be a solution to handle this.

3 Likes

No, having a new phone every year is not a ‘problem’ that is holding SFOS back.

Jolla needs to have a widely available device for people to buy. Year after year. The $50 that five thousand of us paid for an XA2 SailfishX licence back in 2019 is not going to keep the company running in 2023.

The XA2 is basically unavailable in most of Jolla’s markets. And an unattractive option to any potential customers in 2023.
The 10 is basically unavailable in most of Jolla’s markets. And an unattractive option to any potential customers in 2023.
The 10ii is becoming unavailable in most of Jolla’s markets. And a somewhat unattractive option to any potential customers in 2023.
The 10iii availablility is starting to become difficult in Jolla’s markets. And a is now a last-gen Sony midrange in 2023.
The 10iv is widely available but not yet supported by Jolla. And is about to go out of production in favour of the the 10v .

Jolla has to keep up with commercially available hardware, if it can’t do that then it has no market to sell SailfishX licences to.

4 Likes

of course it does. At least for the current state. With every new Sony device, new problem arise. And old device are still blocked with unfixed issues. This is a never ending circle.

Does it, really? There’s a bunch of used phones to sale. Do you really need a totally brand new phone for this? Tbh for the “initial phase” it’s not.

3 Likes

The likely answer is to do what Pine64 have done and provide a phone that does not change, and all parts are readily availablity for repair and maintenance - though, an improvement to this would be to do what iPhone have done with the SE series, which uses the iPhone 8 shell, and most parts between the generations are interchangeable for upgrades (though this isn’t actually the case).

Unfortunately, Jolla aren’t in the hardware game anymore. If Fairphone would stick to a single phone shape, and work on the modular concept for upgrades, this might be a good case for Sailfish, though it’ll then be hard to buy one for those of us on the other side of the world (compared to Sony at least).

2 Likes

I agree with Lolek. E-waste is a problem and should concern us all, Sony, Apple, the whole tech world.I also think you are right, stating that a frequent change of devices holds Sailfish’ development back. They have come far, have to say that too.
The EU is talking about demanding repairability of products. If phones are included, the ‘problem’ will be clear.
Mobile providers have a key role. After 5G we get 6 G, but why? Where does it end?
The idea of a yearly subscription to Jolla has my support.

4 Likes

The hardware of Jolla 1 was a good concept. Such a pity that it could not be improved.

3 Likes

I would pay good money to be a fly on the wall of the next Jolla Board Meeting:

To watch the explosion when the proposition is put to the Chief Financial Officer that SailfishX licence sales will do “just fine” on the basis of second-hand sales of Sony midrange handsets that are no longer produced, sold, and marketed.
The argument offered being that limited availability and attractivness will be offset by lower operating costs from supporting fewer better understood devices.

CFO might be bound by his fiduciary duty to the shareholders to point out to the Board that this ‘revenue neutral’ models falls off a cliff 12 months down the line…

1 Like

The problem is all over the industry.
Also Sony wanna sell Phones annually…

And Jolla still lacks of communicating.
They could announce it early and say “yes, we work on the 10IV”

They could say “we skip the 10V and will work again on the 10VI”

But of course they won’t do that. You stated it so well. They rely on us to buy a new license every year. Of course they need to keep the lights on…
For me, before every phone of mine had a lifespan of 2 years as daily drivers.

But: I want Jolla to survive and I want Sony phones to survive.
The opportunity Sony gives with the open device program is unique and I don’t wanna have another OS than Sailfish. So I buy a new phone and a new license every year

6 Likes

same here - i have a spare 10 ii which i’m barely using, but i bought a SFOS licence nonetheless for it, to test a few things, and also contribute to Jolla.

3 Likes

Yes, that seems like a viable strategy. As long as it is hedged against the possibility that the Xperia 10 range doesn’t morph into a lower costs handset using some Mediatek chipset (as happened with the XA1).

You’re talking about that program which gives you phone stripped out from functionality?
I’m talking right now about for example battery. Missing FM Radio, Step counter, RTC Alarms, Double Tap to Wake? There are things which doesn’t work at all.

We can support Jolla by subscription. Relying only on buying license is song of the past. Almost every software company is moving to subscription based business because for the company it’s better to make some plans for the long term. Of course it’s more expensive for the end user but many here are saying they’re buying license for phone which is not being used so I see no problem.

2 Likes

Sorry to say, but the loudest voices are mostly never the majority.
And as a disclaimer…
In MY opinion.

For what do I need a step counter?
Will be nothing but imprecise.

Tap to wake up is outdated since years, since almost everyone uses fingerprint or face ID.

I don’t need RTC Alarm

I didn’t listen to FM radio since years and have no idea how to use it again soon since I have have data flat and Amazon Prime Music.

And as I said. It’s only my opinion. I’m happy with what I have in SFOS.
Who needs more, has many other optiins

4 Likes

well it’s not the only con of democracy.

to unlock, I want to just see what’s on the screen without unlocking it. TBH I don’t like this also but it seems I can’t expect also any swipe for this. So better something than nothing.

Good for you!

Again, good for you!

great, then if you’re happy with it, why are you in this thread at all?

It’s odd that you missed the battery info.

2 Likes