Where to go after Sailfish?

I know where to go after Sailfish: to bed, because this thread has given me a headache! :wink:

11 Likes

I guess, not so much the thread, as some participants.

2 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 27 days.

Q: Where to go after Sailfish?

A: Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 3 10IGL5-LTE

Has SIM card slot and built in 4G cellular modem, 1920 x 1200 px 10" touchscreen, detachable physical keyboard (also usable wireless by BT), Intel CPU, a tiny but full featured PC running Ubuntu 23.04, works like a charm! Fits easily into a handbag.

edit: Sometimes I need a magnifying glass, but everything works like on a ‘big’ desktop PC.

4 Likes

Fairphone 5 (with a curious choice of an LTS Qualcomm chipset), Pixel 8, and probably some others are near shipping.

With

• Jolla in financial restructuring
  • unclarity around if there will ever be another Sailfish release
  • metric ton of fiddling effort needed for (only partially) updated browser engine, but (visibly) only volunteer work is available: Flypig's gecko dev diary
  • no modern device news beyond X10 III of any kind

I wonder if now’s the time to jump… :weary:

Fortunately for daily driver, albeit relatively slow and sluggish UX in many things, this X10 II is able to keep me on the road fairly well. And many things in SFOS are executed well. I’ll certainly hang in there until maybe the next Community meeting, and hopefully an official blog statement of some kind.

Where are you currently at in your jump story, fellow shiphopper?

6 Likes

What about a (banana) pi in an old nokia case?

1 Like

How many people are really involved in this transition?

Nowhere at the moment. Why should I jump elsewhere, whithout really knowing that this story is already over. Yes there is the possibility, that Jolla will not survive. But even when this happens, it is still not clear what happens then. If they open source all parts of Sailfish, there would be still a future for Sailfish. Even so I’m unsure how realistic this is.

If the story ends, I still have a working device and enough time to decide, where to go. There are not so many options. I fear plasma mobile as well as mobian has still a long way to go, until there is a suitable daily driver device. Especially when there is no capable hardware around. So in the end I have to decide if I want to use UBports or one of the AOSP ROMs.

I will decide, when, and if it is necessary. Up to this day, I use my most favoured mobile OS. And this is without any doubt Sailfish.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, everything indicates that the story is over. As I wrote in another post, where is the business with Mercedes Group and why is Zetsche Jr. member of the board?

1 Like

Why speculating. I’m not sitting on a boat with too less life vests. So I have plenty of time to decide where to go. At the moment Jolla is still alive, even so they are struggling, so why should I leave at the moment. If they go bankrupt, I will decide where to go, but even then, I probably will use my sailfish device for a few month more, just in case that Silica becomes open source.

I still don’t see any reason for a premature decision.
I prefer to base my decisions on facts rather than on some speculations. No matter how likely they are.
So I just wait and see.

14 Likes

I second you @Fellfrosch and I’ll surely keep my phones as they are now and most important for me is that Xperia 10 and Volla (GS290) still will work as data devices if 2G is shutted down. Then I’ll use them data-only as pocket computer and for voice calls I’ll buy a 4G capable Caterpillar phone or something like this, then have to search for something that is not Android and not Apple because I don’t like to have this even without installed apps. I’m really very curious what will be available at this time. For now, 2G for voice calls is still working fine here.

edit: https://www.catphones.com/de-de/cat-b40/

edit: or a Punkt phone (see this thread, post 244 and 245 below), thats more elegant (lady like).

2 Likes

XA2 forever!
I’ll keep my XA2 until I cannot use it anymore like I did this with my N900 between 2010 and 2022 (well, the last years, it was a bit complicated)
Then, I’ll isolate my self again from the norm by looking into the direction of Maemo Leste and/or Pinephone.

Yeah, definitely! :mask: Is that why is the Cat B-40 labelled “Hygien Plus”?
biggrin

3 Likes

I’ll hack SFOS until it can no longer be hacked. Thereafter, I will resort to full analog backups. Smoke signals. Trebuchets. Pigeon post. Long hand writing with a feather quill. Bows and arrows.

12 Likes

Android and Apple is no go zone if you know what I mean :).

3 Likes

Well, I and many others have to rely on Android apps to get their work done. Can’t go full toy mode on this until retired :grin:

1 Like

Uh, i have an xa2 and i don’t feel the ux is that sluggish, i mean, not the fastest phone in the world but surely not sluggish

Maybe i just have very low expectations? xD

2 Likes

Not considering jumping ship ATM, SFOS serves me well and will continue to do so for quite some time. If the need ever arises, I’ll add a Punkt phone to poetaster’s list of communication options.

1 Like

Thanks for this hint! Here is the link:

(english version, also available in german and other languages)

edit: more models available on Punkt. homepage, also landline phones and other devices.
edit: MP02 has BlackBerry Secure!

3 Likes

After Sailfish I just went to … Sailfish again! Just paid for the Sailfish for my new device with the thought that I am not just buying the license but also help the company it produced it and also the hope that it will come out stronger of any difficulties has.

Cheers

4 Likes