Where to go after Sailfish?

I’m a Sailfish user coming from the N9 since 1.0 on Jolla 1 and went through all versions up to know. I love it. But this week, I started to doubt. I wanted to change from the 10 ii to a 10 iii and was hoping for some better and more modern device. But apps that worked on the 10 ii don’t work any more and the camera is even less supported. It’s very hard to part, but I think about entering the fenced garden of Cupertino. Buying a good camera and no worries for a lot of freedom and privancy.

1 Like

from the rest of your post I’ll assume you mean 10 III? If so then it’s still not finished from what I understand.
For the apps, devs did probably abandon the platform and why they did that I can only imagine.

Yes, I wanted to change to the 10 iii (edited now).
I was hoping to get an improved experience, but have to see that this aged midclass phone is not even sufficiently supported and more modern devices are not to be expected soon.
I love Sailfish and I’ve condoned a lot of deficiencies for years hoping it will be better soon. But I’m at an point where I start to doubt heavily that this will ever become an OS that does not require blind love.

1 Like

Well I said this many times and I’ll reply again. In my opinion Jolla is to small to be able to support new phones so often. So some sacrifices must be made in this case it’s the system itself.
Just look, with every new Sony release new or even similar problems arise.

Still they do quite good job. I would say it’s better than Ubuntu Touch which had much better founding but they still don’t even have encryption! And where’s VollaOS, librem with their oses?
TBH we have here the same problem as on Linux desktop. Fragmentation is big.
These companies should work together as a team.

And actually this could be a good topic for a community meeting, or just a separate topic. I’ll leave a link here.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if you’ll find the same love in Ubuntu Touch to be honest. My opinion is that Sailfish is the best alternative OS to Android and Apple of the market in terms of user experience, however, you might require a different user experience than me. To me, there is something great about having a home page, which Ubuntu Touch doesn’t seem to have.

In saying this, I’m giving up on my Xperia 10 due to how slow the experience is. I’m in the process of obtaining an XZ2 in hopes that it’s current port improves on that experience - the downfall is no Microsoft Exchange and no Alien Dalvik, but I’m hoping Waydroid covers that. Have you considered buying a device that has an active port?

Outside of this, my opinion is to jump on the AOSP bandwagon, and get something like Lineage or Graphene with no google services, as this will provide a fast and reliable user experience with support for android apps.

4 Likes

link:

I don’t consider Ubuntu. I know that Sailfish is the only “third” OS. It’s great and they did a great job. That’s why it’s hard for me to part.

2 Likes

well it’s just I played with Android, sadly I have a company phone with that thing which is barely usable from my point of view. I also bought iPhone just to test it, although it was better than android i sold it quickly. I’m trying to use Jolla but I’m not a hardcore as others in love to keep silent where obvious things are still missing but then in the phones since the black and white lcd screen in phones.
I don’t have time to just sit on the code and start implementing that stuff yet trying with the very basic (see my patch for gallery sharing, btw why is this still not built in?) as I don’t know Qt at all.
So yeah this is how i see this and I see no alternative for me. UBports as I said… no encryption so totally no go.
But even if they would finally implement it, for me it there’s still the HW problems. The phones are to big and it’s not just a matter of preference but a personal physical problem.

I’d rethink going to Graphene. On their main page:

The private and secure mobile operating system with Android app compatibility. Developed as a non-profit open source project.

From what I found they’re still AOSP so hmm they try to make a secure product but it’s still Android and what’s more they somehow do support Google by supporting officially and recommending Google Pixel phones. I wouldn’t use that.

1 Like

I mixed up Cupertino with Canonical, haha, thinking you were sticking with Linux and moving to Ubuntu.
I have the same feelings as you in regards to moving away from Sailfish.

1 Like

Pixel 3a is relatively small, and is the most supported UBports device by the look of it. Depends on your requirements - for me, anything below 150x70 is a good size.

Regarding your Android experience, I’d be curious to know what the device is. Generally a mid-range to high-range phone provides a good Android experience, while the low-range phones make you think otherwise. If you weren’t using a high-range phone, I’d assume the iPhone experience would be better given iPhones are nothing but high-range devices.

Graphene is Android; most alternative operating systems are. But Android is open source, so they use the open source side which doesn’t incorporate Google services (as far as I’m aware), and they add their features to it, and generally provide open source base apps to get you going. So you’re getting a great experience without Google in the background - you’re also getting a much securer device. As well, the most recent Android navigation style, which iPhone incorporates too, is all swipe actions; which I would think SFOS users would appreciate.

1 Like

I am also still happy to own an XA2+. I do not like the new format

1 Like

Why don’t you give UT a chance? UT runs on many different devices and the community is very active.
After all, the basic idea of SFOS was to also work on devices other than telephones. Where has SailfishOS evolved? It doesn’t even fully run on the currently supported Xperia 10 III.
Try the VollaPhone22 with UT 16.04. This is a current device and has a very good equipment. With multiboot I had SFOS running as my main daily driver.
There is finally a strong community for the SFOS Smartwatch again and thanks to UT I will finally be able to use the Jolla port after years of waiting.

1 Like

that’s a big phone for me, the 70 width is also something way to much.

it’s not device per se it’s the OS. It’s totally unintuitive. Everything is hidden somwhere, you have to look for things in odd places, duplicated configs spread around everywhere.
Material design which is totally opposite from user experience. For example, who came with such stupid idea to make the hamburger menu in top left corner. It’s very hard to reach with one hand, almost impossible and force you to use second hand. Some apps are using top right, this is again an issue.
It should be at the bottom of the screen. There are trials for that, numerous.
In SFOS to reach top menu it’s enough to swipe even from the middle of the screen. Android? Forget, got make surgery and extend your finger or do some gymnastic using one hand trying not to drop the glassy phone.

These toys are not meant to be used as a mobile devices now days. People argue it’s the opposite but they’re laying themselves. If that wasn’t the truth then flip phones wouldn’t show up again. These are kind of solving the problem but still much to do.

If you don’t know what I’m talking it’s easy to make a test. Get a bag full of something say, apples, bananas, carrots, standard shopping. Take it in one hand. Then go like 1km in the mean time try with the second hand to:

• send three sms longer than 80 characters typing
  • make some calls picking up random people from the phone book not the ones you have on “fav list”
  • open browser and search for two things on 5 webpages

Do all this with just one hand, without stopping, best on mixed road between peoples. Please, don’t cheat, don’t stop, don’t use second hand, you need it to hold your groceries and open doors etc. Let me know how this did go.

6 Likes

I fully agree: for a good one-hand user experience, you need an operating system with a suitable user interface (for instance SFOS ;-)) and small enough a device. A good user interface can mitigate too large a size, though

A good alternative to SONY Open devices is of course also:

Will ask friends with Russian roots if they can bring me such a phone on their next visit to RU. :sunglasses: :+1:

1 Like

I’m considering jumping ship and topic question is on my mind mostly for hardware.

If no budget concerns, what would you get for Android?

Fairphone 4 5G rubs me the right way, in theory, similar to what Framework is doing for laptops. But randomly finding this burn post [US] FP4, 256GB, Grey, LineageOS - #3 by const - Offer - Fairphone Community Forum really has me on the fence.

I bought the FP4 after really enjoying my Framework laptop; I didn’t spend enough time looking at this forum to realize just how different the two companies and communities are. Fairphone as a company is simply not helpful and supportive in the way that Framework is, and this forum is not the supportive community and resource that the Framework forum is. While the above problems were frustrating, the confidence I gained that they would not be fixed by Framework, and the unhelpfulness of this forum, with its giant threads, defence of Fairphone, and continual responses of “contact support” when, in almost every case, the person saying that must know that contacting support will have no real chance of helping, given past experience, was what caused me to finally be fed up with the phone.

Any SFOS expats currently on a FP3 or 4? What’s your experience like, how glitch-free is life?

Probably the Samsung Galaxy S23 Enterprise, because Samsung has promised 4 years of major Android OS updates and one year of security updates.

After some debloating / removing of programs of course, at work we give out the Samsung Galaxy XCover 5, and I see sooooooo much programs that I do not want.

If I had to choose an android to use as a main phone I would go for Galaxy S23 Ultra.
Pixels have issues, Xperia 1 V is way overpriced for the support and overall camera quality you get (for point and shoot).
I don’t consider any other Chinese or budget model as an option myself so can’t help there.

Pixels have issues

What’s your sources for keeping up to date on this claim? I’d assume some glitches also get fixed, considering Pixel flagship status.