Where did nfc share go?

When selecting to share a file (eg a photo or a video with the gallery app) there is no nfc option anymore, where did that go?

It barely worked, but still i’m curious to know

2 Likes

Was it ever there in the first place?, can’t say I recall ever seeing or hearing of such a thing.

2 Likes

I suppose it was there cause i recall trying it sometimes…

2 Likes

Has that been a third party app (aka community project)? Couldn’t find it in Chum nor Openrepos though.

Do you mean Bluetooth Secure Simple Pairing option in settings by chance? I am not sure what this does, but it may be that sharing feature.

No not that, it should be in the send menu, so i just suppose is gone

Surely you can’t (even conceptually) share an image or a video over NFC in anything resembling a known method, or indeed within reasonable time. Though i vaguely remember something to write arbitrary text to writable tags where things like a vcard or link might be somewhat useful. And in the former case there it would make sense as a sharing plugin - but it truly is a niche within a niche.

Datarates of NFC is typically between 100 to 800 kbit/s … sooooo it will take minimum 30 seconds to transfer a 3 megabyte file :slight_smile:

Makes more sense to have it as a greeting protocol and then make Bluetooth or an ad hoc WLAN as the transfer method.

EDIT:
Since Bluetooth is noisy and most users do not deactivate it; a simple scan is the middle of a random street will bring up a long list; anything over 5-10 centimeters and NFC get wonky…

1 Like

i know but still i was curious, because if there’s no option to share anything and we don’t have an nfc payment system, what is the nfc for in sailfish?we don’t even have a other half anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

You can read tags for example NFC Logger | OpenRepos.net — Community Repository System
Or you could write something like android nfc share where nfc is used to establish bt/wlan connection as suggested above to trigger file exchange (for those multitude of situations where two sfos devices meet in physical form, or maybe just parrot android to make it actually useful) the sky’s the limit