When will we be able to make video calls with Fernschreiber and Telegra'me?

Not being able to make a video call with one of these Sailfish Telegram clients sets me apart from my family. I am the only one who cannot contact them this way, because I use my Sailfish devise as daily driver. I also have an old ipad, but that’s only for at home.
When will video calling be possible?

2 Likes

Why does the Android Telegram client (via Alien Dalvik) not work for you? Is the video calling function not available there as well?

I don’t know, sorry. It never worked. Not on Ferschreiber and not on Telegra’me. ‘Not supported’ says the message. . I have the latest Sailfish update. Wire does work, but not Telegram. Unfortunately only a few of my contacts are on Wire.

Hesitating about Android versions. Will try the FOSS app.
In the meantime I searched for the FOSS client. FDroid and Aurora Store are problematic at the moment. My husband now has a device with /e/OS. It has a FOSS Telegram app as standard. He can make video calls. I can’t. Why is it not possible in the Sailfish client apps?

you can simply download android app from Telegram site, no need for stores. It’s open source afaik

I downloaded Nekogram, a FOSS Telegram client app from the FDroid store. Everything worked except making a video call. When trying to make a phone call within this app it immediately connects to the mobile network of the person I call. The same happened in Telegra’me, the Sailfish app. It simply doesn’t work.

Did that too, from the Telegram site. I can download and install it, but calling does not work. Interchanging of encryption does nothing.

Since the announcement of the latest Sailfish update I tried again to make video calls. In Fernschreiber and in the FOSS Telegram app this still does not work. So I installed the official Android app from the Telegram org. and now it is possible. What a pity that it only works with Android.

https://openrepos.net/content/mistermagister/yottagram

1 Like