Whatsapp can't access phone contacts

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.0.1.48
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): Xperia X
UI LANGUAGE: EN
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?):
previous build was working fine with Whatsapp.

DESCRIPTION:

I only have my contacts from the phone sim card in Whatsapp (2.21.6.1), all synced from google are missing and can’t be found. Those are available in phone contact without problem. Access via Android Support is enabled.

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

EXPECTED RESULT:

ACTUAL RESULT:

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

4 Likes

I have similiar problem here, WhatApp cannot access any phone contacts.
I have Xperia X with latest 4.4.0.68, in Settings I have activated “Allow Android apps to access your contacts”, and downloaded from website whatsapp.com the latest app version 2.22.17.70.
The result is, that in WhatsApp are shown only numbers and no names even I have them in Phone/People directory.
Is there a solution?
Thanks

Have you checked the android permissions?

In the terminal enter ‘apkd-launcher com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings’
And then check for data protection (or whatever ‘Datenschutz’ is translated to in English, from there app permissions

1 Like

Thanks. I have entered in the terminal:

"apkd-launcher com.android.settings/com.android.settings.Settings"

and it just returned:
"Usage: apkd-launcher <apkfile> <package>/<activity>"

What am I doing wrong?

Probably “having an Xperia X”. That (sans quotes, obviously) works fine on the new runtime.
So look at old instructions for launching android settings, and keep an open mind to that they might not support Android 4 properly any more.

1 Like

Thanks. During installation of WhatApp.apk I had to do it from the terminal, because in Settings/Transfers it allows only “Delete from history” and no installation option of an apk file. So i did it like this:
devel-su apkd-install WhatsApp.apk

and it worked. During installation I have allowed all access to the app.

On the website of whatapp.com they are saying, that it requires Android OS 4.0.3 or above, which should be on Xperia X fulfilled (with 4.4.4).

Anyway, besides the access to contacts, the app works.

Hey, @neo75 I would love to tell you I’ve found an solution for this problem, but unfortunately I didn’t. Like @attah mentioned, I also assume that the flawed android support is the problem here. After an update of WhatsApp this problem started for me, this should mean the “fault” is probably the use of an newer API from WhatsApp for importing the contact info’s or the API level from Jolla isn’t fully developed/completed.
None the less I would open an ticket directly by Jolla, as you could see it did take some time for someone to reply.
PS: I myself switched to an Xperia 10 II with the newer API level

1 Like

Thanks, I have tried all the steps, which are decribed here:
# Setting up WhatsApp on your Sailfish OS device
but it did not helped.
You @ Hendrik.Doering are correct: “the “fault” is probably the use of an newer API from WhatsApp for importing the contact info’s or the API level from Jolla isn’t fully developed/completed.”

This version of WhatsApp has these issue which is fixed by its new update which you can found from its official site.

1 Like

Hello, Try these steps:

1. Check permissions in Settings > Apps > WhatsApp > Permissions > Contacts.
  2. Clear WhatsApp cache: Settings > Apps > WhatsApp > Storage > Clear Cache.
  3. Restart your phone and open WhatsApp.

If that doesn’t work, try reinstalling WhatsApp. Remember to back up your chats before doing so.