What's the next SFOS phone?

Hi all
Any educated guesses as to what the next phone for SFOS will be?
Sadly after many years I’m going to stop using SFOS.
I’m a hearing aid wearer and the lack of bluetooth support for android apps is now a deal-breaker. My new HA’s are very app-centric and I don’t want to carry 2 phones (I’ve tried, it doesn’t work). Really not happy about this but here we are…
So optimistically I’d like to buy another phone with the [cough] belief that BT will get sorted and I can come back to SFOS a.s.a.p…
Best to all
J.

5 Likes

Educated guess is Xperia 10IV which makes no sense at all…
Won’t be counting on bt problem in android to be solved with new device as this won’t ever be a priority for jolla.
Im not a hater or so, but what can you expect is coming soon™ but very late port with usual bugs/problems, bringing bunch of new problems on device that isn’t really a step forward from 10 III. This is my complete educated guess that I think is shared by many

5 Likes

Harsh but fair :smiley:
Thanks @Ride92

1 Like

Then I guess it’s over.
There are many millions of people with hearing loss, enough that both android/ios make it seamless. I’d also guess that there’s a fair proportion of SFOS userbase that are currently in or about to fall into that category.

Equally though I get that it’s not a trivial issue, just a shame that BT connectivity has been flagged for a number of years and just like an endless number of SFO’s (Sailfish Optimists) I’d presumed would be solved (rather than kicked into the long grass).

I’m genuinely saddened (& slightly overwhelmed with the required porting backing up & transferring - all those notes!:slight_smile: plus the faff of going back to exactly what I was hopeful of staying away from ['roid/ios])

1 Like

But why exactly wouldn’t it be a priority for them? App support seems to be a high priority. Is it too difficult with their resources?

2 Likes

As you may or may not know jolla resources right now are very limited and I don’t think that they will put some bluetooth problems on the top of their to do list as first items are problably something like “staying alive”

1 Like

Unless their automotive plans will require this (like need for your android mercedes/VW/whatever app to speak with your sfos appsupport based carOS over bt), assuming they survive long enough that is

2 Likes

ah, ok - didn’t realise it was this grim.
Appreciate it’s a tough gig in this market but aren’t they all

user needs perhaps.
But sure, am being slightly facetious.
Problem is, we’re all fairly niche, and those niches add up

1 Like

Yeah it’s grim, but on the good side automotive might actually change priorities from mdm/multi-user etc which were pushed by governmental needs to things like proper BT support, so if they survive we might see more interesting features coming for a non-company enduser

4 Likes

Do hope so. Like many, I’m invested (& loathe to let go)

3 Likes

Since the announcement that 2G & 3G services are coming to an end I’m feeling the same about SFOS’s future.
Android app developers are reluctant to do native SFOS versions of their apps due to it not being a mainstream OS.
Apart from some manufacturers taking on SFOS to develop for their own purposes, it doesn’t look like we’re going to see a native SFOS device any time soon. Everyone that has seen my SFOS devices have all asked the same question- “Where can I get one?”

3 Likes