What's new in SailfishOS 5.0?

The Jolla C2 phone is announced to come with SaiflishOS 5.0 and released in August (in 2 months).

What are we expecting from a major release bump?

Can Jolla, or anyone there, spare some hints about what’s coming?

I’m hoping for large modernization in the technical stack (QT6, performance, browser engine, better hardware support like cameras,…), missing features (anti theft /tracing, call blocks, all language keyboard, etc.), and updated modern app styles/features for the standard ones (mail, gallery, etc.).

8 Likes

I miss good default browser (just updated engine would be fine, UI is OK), call blocking (how dare it’s missing) and a better keyboard. Autocorrection and maybe Swype support

5 Likes

VoWifi and Volte roaming are the most important features.

6 Likes

I expect that they split the codebase and start to call one part “Sailfish Core” (which btw is not an easy task). Sure there will be some bugfixes, but I’d keep the expectations relatively low. There’s not much that can happen in short time.

3 Likes

Just been poking around on the site looking to see if I could find the revised list of supported devices for Sailfish OS 5.0 but was unable to find one. Have any decisions been made as to whether Sony XA2 will make the cut or is it likely to be dropped any time soon?

1 Like

With 4.6 a couple of devices were announced to have it as their last version. Of course that means everything else gets 5.0.

2 Likes

More specifically in the https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/release-notes-sauna-4-6-0-11/17815 in: Device models supported by Sailfish X

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up guys. Just needed to be sure before I buy the licence as there wouldn’t be a lot of point if it were to be unsupported by the end of the month. I had eight phones this time last year, now I only have two Sony XA2’s. A black one and a silver one. Had a blue one too but I swapped it out for a Galaxy S7 in a moment of madness a few years ago. Still regret that. Anyway, the silver one has Iode 5.1 on it and TBH it’s very good. Is running Android 14 and so far all is well. Now I need to find a reason to keep the black one and SFOS has to be it.

My partner says I’m obsessed with ‘art deco’ phones :o) but she just doesn’t appreciate classic styling. I always thought they looked good in gold. Might just buy me one if I can find another compatible supported OS that i can degoogle to put on it. Not interested in the new Sony’s, I know they are higher spec’ and all that but they just don’t have the magic of the XA2.

3 Likes

Just curious, what is the state of the art in Sailfish for basic things:

• Browser (including adblockers)
  • Offline maps and navigation
  • Chat and VoIP calls (XMPP, Signal and Matrix)

1 Any, but browser is gonna be updated in the future and i assume it will be much better. Defender is quite nice as adblocker

2 Pure maps, really the state of the art for opensource navigators

3 Whisperfish for signal and sailtrix for matrix. Despite i don’t use signal, whisperfish is in active development and should be state of the art (almost), sailtrix is lacking many features but should be the best we have (as in better, not in state of the art)

2 Likes

For matrix, Hydrogen is an alternative to Sailtrix. It has less glitches than Sailtrix for now (in my case), but integration to SFOS UI is a step behind.

The main problem with the browser is its outdated engine and its stability problems.

For offline maps and navigation, we are in a very comfortable situation. We not only have Pure Maps, but as well OSMScout, which is in my eyes on the same level. Both have advantages and disadvantages. I use OSMScout mainly for hiking and Pure Maps for car navigation. I use both heavily and I’m glad that we have BOTH alternatives.

8 Likes

What about VoIP, i.e. calling using common chat protocols (XMPP, Signal, Matrix and SIP)?

1 Like

XMMP, Signal, Matrix > I don’t think so. Telegramm > yes, there is a client for that that can do calls.
SIP I am not sure at the moment. Both possible with Android support of cause.

1 Like

I still remember using Nokia N97 15 years ago to regularly making video calls on Skype…

2 Likes

I still remember using Nokia N97 15 years ago to regularly making video calls on Skype…

I don’t miss proprietary software support, look how far that one went.

1 Like

I recall making XMPP calls from a Nokia N770 (Maemo) to people using Google Talk (on a desktop PC) on the receiving side. Open protocol on a lovely device. Google even contributed the Jingle extension to XMPP.

Sad to see where we are now. We have regressed more than 20 years in terms of openness.

7 Likes

SFO support VoLTE, you do have VoIP :stuck_out_tongue:

It went exactly there, where the Evil Empire wanted it to go…

Now, it’s Great that the EU is fully supporting local Sailfish OS !! :thinking:

2 Likes