What now? Upgrade to 4.6.0.13 failed

Fu*kit, I delete most of the packages… :blush:

This problem is caused by this very bug that Jolla for years has been neglecting to fix.

ssu re is set to the new release version as soon as an OS update starts downloading. If the user then does not apply the downloaded update right away but quits the GUI updater, the device is left with the incorrect release version, which is the source of all those issues. Starting the update at some later time causes this very problem, i.e. request to remove lots of system packages.

See e.g.

1 Like

Come on @jovirkku.
I know it’s Nordic midsommerfeast, and I am as drunk as anybody else :wink:, but there is several threads in forum saying that OTA update failed if not removing those packages and I’m actually one of the victims.
Upgrade failed, leaving those packages, but went smoothly through when removed.

1 Like

The ones with opt prefix may cause issues, the ones without are system’s

1 Like

OK, thanks for the clarification! I’m pretty sure there where none without opt prefix.

Try to load it again, if you end up with duplicates, then probably reset and load on fresh

2 Likes

I would like to try a restore according to these instructions (Link ) first and not flash directly. Would the hybris-recovery.img from the 4.5.0.16 image be suitable for this, even if I have 4.5.0.25 as the latest version?
If I had to flash, I would use the latest 4.6 directly. However, since I have backed up some accounts with 2FA, a restore would of course be worth a lot to me.

So this could also be my fault, because I also interrupted the update. But before I try your solution, I have to restore it somehow, as I don’t have access to the phone at the moment. Although this may now point to a higher repository, restoring the old image is probably the best method, but I’m taking my time and not doing anything up now.

I also changed the partition volumes years ago. This is not consistent when flashing, that’s true. But I would prefer a restore and I didn’t have your experience. It is still booting and the warning “No apps running” is also displayed in my German language (“keine Apps gestartet”).

Not sure if this has been answered.
I updated a XA2 today, but it did not reboot correctly. The same list of packages to be removed. An error and after booting "No apps started”.

Trying to flash it again gave a green led, which means “sorry, try again” according to the documentation linked below.
I cannot reach it on ssh either, so no way for input on the device.
Any help on how to go forward again on this XA2?

If you have developer mode installed you can try following this rabbit hole: What now? Upgrade to 4.6.0.13 failed - #6 by throwaway69
Or did you have modified partitions? What now? Upgrade to 4.6.0.13 failed - #10 by davidrasch

3 Likes

Yes, it’s the same recipe as the docs I was pointing at.
The led is supposed to go blue, but it goes green. Which means, try again.

You could try to flash android first so it fixes partitions back to original like in davidrasch’s case, maybe, his case seemed like a lost cause with flashing 4.4 and 4.6 not working, not sure

3 Likes

If anyone has to reflash for any reason, i stongly suggest flashing the latest android anyways as intermediate step. Because that will likely also update the baseband if your device has not had android on it for many years.
If baseband updates are available i suspect there are a few security fixes one can get and maybe issues around VoLTE can be solved that way.

2 Likes

Are you sure about that?

These very updates could break Sailfish. I do not trust Jolla to have guarded against wrong assumptions about the firmware.

1 Like

Same here! X10I with unsuccessful upgrade to 4.6.0.13. Screen with ‘‘no apps started’’ Recovery file from 4.6. is not working, maybe because there is still 4.5 in the phone.
Do you have hybris-recovery.img from 4.5?

I have filed a request to check if this leads to false warnings to uninstall packages.
Thank you for bringing this up, again.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, I can only provide a hybris-recovery.img from Sailfish_OS-Jolla-4.5.0.16-h4413-1.0.0.8. This is for an XA2-Plus with DualSim and microSD.
This will probably not help you much.

Try it out… I used a 4.4 hybris-recovery.img because I did not have a newer one and could not find one. It worked and I could back up my data.

Best regards
Fuchur

Well, if you want to try it out and haven’t reflashed yet, here is the link to my hybris-recovery.img from 4.5.0.16-h4413.
https://www.jollauser.de/diverses/hybris-recovery.img
I’ll leave it on the server for 10 days - I’m not sure if I’m even allowed to offer it. If this mail is deleted immediately, I will also delete the file on my server.

1 Like