What is sailjail?

what is sailjail,
what is it supposed to do?
how to deactivate it altogether?

for example the browser cannot access any internet site while launched from the desktop icon
(this from the last version 4.5.0.19)
if i launch it from the terminal it works as it should

Sailjail is the sandboxing solution used in SFOS. It is supposed to grant each app the configured access rights. The browser should have internet access, there must be a wrong configuration in place. When started from CLI sandboxing is not active.

Find out more here; GitHub - sailfishos/sailjail

and more reading; What's up with Sandboxing? | Jolla Blog

Have you recently updated the device, or is is a “fresh” install?

Have you ever messed around with hosts files, e.g. using Defender, HostsAdBlock or anything like that?

6 Likes

@nephros

Yes i have recently updated the device, the “fresh” install dates around july 2020

No i have ever messed around with hosts files, e.g. using Defender, HostsAdBlock or anything like that?

All what i can say is that with this XA Ultra i have the feeling that small details get worse and worse over the updates

while a Faiphone 2 running version 3.3 works much better

Sounds a bit like an incomplete update.

For a start, try doing a pkcon refresh; pkcon update run and see if you get any meaningful output.

Could also be due to waydroid/dnsmasq? Is dnsmasq installed, is it disabled? (it should be) There was also a connman issue related to resolv.conf and sailjail that might be related.

@nephros
pkcon refresh; pkcon update
end up with no warning at all

@piggz
no waydroid installed
how do i check for dnsmasq if installed or disabled

what means this sentence
“There was also a connman issue related to resolv.conf and sailjail that might be related.”
i am simple user!!
and how to check that