What APIs are missing from Harbour?

What do you mean with messaging? Websocket support? Are Websockets currently unallowed?

From the top of my head, for Whisperfish (apart from the obvious “I want to use Rust”):

• Contact API, to list contacts (look-up based on phone number). We’re currently reading contacts.db rawly, I don’t like it :slight_smile:
  • I use some Silica components that are undocumented/in Sailfish.Silica.private: mainly BubbleBackground would be nice to have. I think Nico from Konheko would like that too.
  • A background daemon, although not planned in the near future, will be added to Whisperfish one day.
1 Like

Not sure if this is the place, but how about:

• adding Brave Rewards or anything similiar, basically a unified way to contribute & receive.
  • better filtering options in the harbour app itselve (old, unmantained, easy way to see if an app works in the latest Os version or not.
1 Like

The possibility to share from other apps to Piepmatz
Voice- and video calls in Telegram and Wire
A streaming/mirroring function.
These are my wishes.

Dark theme in browser and mail etc. for evenings would be nice.
Native radio apps working.
Reliable GPS.
Magic Earth client.

3 Likes

A Jolla cloud service for back up and storage.

1 Like

A Jolla cloud service for back up and storage.

This is a little a of topic wish i think. And therefore we got the Nextcloud Implementation (which could be improved however for sure). So you can choose your trustworthy Nextcloud provider or (and that is the most important point) host it yourself. So from my side: thumbs up to Jolla for not binding someone to “the one” Jolla service on a wherever cloud!

4 Likes

Yes, expected this answer. I know about Nextcloud, If it were that easy I would have done it already. It’s not possible in my household cos I don’t live alone. A Jolla cloud for back ups would be nice, for I lost my data several times with rebooting and re-installing.

1 Like

This is a little bit like asking men to knit their own pullover.

1 Like

@vige has now posted the poll of the options that were suggested here:

Not that this should stop anyone continuing to suggest things here, but (1) I guess they won’t now be able to appear in this poll, although maybe there will be another in the future; and (2) please vote in the poll!

3 Likes

Stumbled on this topic a bit late, but I would like applications to be able to allow their data to be included in a system backup, just how the bookmarks, contacts and so are backed up.

6 Likes

@ahappyhuman maybe it’s not perfect solution (because it’s not build in system) but the best we have now https://openrepos.net/content/slava/my-backup
You can backup every app you want. Thank to this app you can backup all apps using build in system backup option.

5 Likes

While late to be included in any polls (maybe in the future) what is missing and could come handy for general use and as an assistive technology is speech to text.

Mozilla has an open source project that is supposed to be offline but i have no idea if its usable or if there are any better solutions.

Some bg info, probably outdated, regarding TTS: https://together.jolla.com/question/51564/text-to-speech-tts-service-and-api/?answer=165969#post-id-165969

Have you by any chance looked into this:

No, I haven’t. And now I realized that you were asking about opposite direction to what I was talking about :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://github.com/alphacep/vosk-api (Offline speech recognition API for Android, iOS, Raspberry Pi and servers with Python, Java, C# and Node) looks interesting as base for any Speech recognition service.

Rust is the most energy performat object oriented programming language available and now it is supported natively by the Linux Kernel also. However, this claim should be put in a more larger frame in which also running time and memory peak usage get into the scene.

Considering that the peak memory is not a great problem in current smartphones but speed and energy, then Rust is near the C in terms of performances.

Regarding the various threads about oom killer and in particular the sailfish browser, on sfos smartphones peak memory consumption indeed seems to be an issue.

1 Like

FWIW, I don’t really think that Rust is a huge issue for Sailfish OS regarding memory consumption.

Whisperfish (with a database dating from the first days with Go) consumes far under 100MB of RAM in the main view (message views of course depend), while the browser and email apps are consistently above 100MB. We’re also continuously improving that part of Whisperfish :blush:

Either way, I think this is straying quite far from the topic at hand.

2 Likes