What actually is Aurora OS and who (if anybody) is using it?

More than going up against Google and Apple with a budget of roughly nothing and staff of ~40?

What were the alternatives?

6 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for at least 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 7 days.

Maybe in Russia. Murder and Genocide being bad are not personal opinions but generally outlawed all over the world.

Iā€™ve mostly meant the incoherent changes to the design - and yes this is a personal opinion.

And no, I wonā€™t stop posting my opinions on SFOS to this forum just because you somehow think you have the authority to police content you donā€™t like :grin:

3 Likes

Of course you are free to do as you wish. It is just polluting the landscape to the extend I am not willing to participate - thus the landscape would become pretty gray. I hope youā€™ll feel good there, but I doubt it is what we both want to achieve.

So let me tell you my opinion on your behavior.

I wonder if people have heard anything about Game Theory. The behavior of many today is evidently not supporting the acknowledgement of the theory, but Iā€™ll be patient to see the outcome, because the theory will prove it is right. Let me explain: If you are seeking the best outcome for you in a situation, ignoring the right of the other players to do the same, you will lose, because no one will play your game. If you think about, youā€™ll find out we are seeing this happen. And in the particular case the Russians have the OS. The other party got the money. If the money is invested wisely it is a good deal. If the money was spent without ROI, it is bad for Jolla, as money has no value per se.

So my question was if we know how Jolla will go on further from here, but I did got only opinions as an answer.

Is it so hard to have a discussion where everybody respects the interests and opinions of the others?
Wokism and Cancel Culture is not the answer - see Game Theory.

4 Likes

Unless you expect Answers directly from Jolla employees I doubt anyone on this forum can offer much more than opinions. We mere mortals can only speculate what they might be up to.

Iā€™m also perfectly fine if someone would argue Jollaā€™s involvement in Russia may have made sense at the time or may even have been essential to saving the company. I donā€™t have any insider knowledge into this matter so, again, the only things I, along the majority on this forum, could contribute to this would be speculations and opinions.

Pushing again the ever present Russian propaganda is not something I would call ā€œwokismā€. Itā€™s just a natural reaction of most decent human beings not to want to be associated with that. Thatā€™s also my guess why Jolla opted to cut ties with Russia. Itā€™s not some conspiracy or pressure form the EU or governments that made them do it but it simply looks bad to be caught supporting the likes of Russia or Hamas right now.

1 Like

You can associate yourself with whoever you like, just donā€™t expect the world to respect you.
Iā€™ve just been trying to point out that it was in Jollaā€™s interest to cut ties with Russia because no one in the free world would touch them with a 10ft pole otherwise.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure if we made a poll most people would be against murder and genocide so what exactly are you trying to prove?

1 Like

But the big question that everyone is missingā€¦who owns the code? Is it Jolla or the russkies through their participation?!

3 Likes

Thatā€™s finally something on-topic that would probably make sense to actually discuss.

3 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure youā€™re over-estimating how many of you guys are our there. :slight_smile:
I specifically wrote ā€œin the free worldā€ to exclude Russia and their allies, like Iran, North Korea, Nazis, etc.

Iā€™m aware itā€™s not always the entire world being on the right side of history. Sadly, there are probably as many despicable people in the West as there are decent Russians.

I suggest we rename the forum or at least this topic to gossip around Aurora OS.
But it happens now and then that Jolla is also reading here and there were insights provided, so I do not completely agree with your opinion.
If you could reduce the personal not Sailfish related opinions, it would benefit us all. For the rest ā€¦ I have a lot of popcorn here and will not enjoy the things that are happening, but will wait to see the outcome. Hopefully we all survive. I recommend reading the basics on Game Theory - there are at least 3 Nobel prices for good reason. Hopefully sanity will enlighten all, who believe, they and only they are right. As mentioned before, it can be and it was mathematically proven. I hope you understand what I mean. And by ā€œyouā€ I mean all readers.

4 Likes

An ā€œappeal to authorityā€ argument does not really work if the whole theory has nothing to do with what I wrote :slight_smile:

As stated before, I will not let some things go unchallenged, but Iā€™m not the one who started it all so if there are no obvious attempts to spread hatred or misinformation Iā€™m willing to shut up :grin:

1 Like

Ah, the ā€œwake upā€ thing. Iā€™m afraid youā€™re believing your own propaganda way too much. :grin:
Most people in the world are simply not evil.

2 Likes

I did not say you are stupid, I said you are lacking capacity to understand. This is not the same.
as @flypig is trying to do diplomacy I am supporting it and I remove the offending part. The one with the capacity I keep, as I did not have the feeling you understood what I wrote in our private conversation. I fully agree that this could apply to me, but I understood completely what you said in the same conversation.

2 Likes

I donā€™t want to get too technical, but is not the ā€œlack of ability to understandā€ precisely one of the definitions of stupidity :grin:

But, as also mentioned before, I donā€™t really care abut personal attacks, in DMs or otherwise. Itā€™s the internet, after all, so one has to have a thick skin to survive.

Iā€™m happy to discuss anything on-topic here if there is anything to discuss not involving Putin propaganda.

2 Likes

At least the last posts in this thread gave us all a lot of insight into the topic of mobile OSs. Thank you for devoting the time of who read this to such meaningful information.

3 Likes

@WT.Sane you are welcome, we all are doing our best :grin:
respect and peace :slight_smile:

As I understand it, Rostelcom never owned 50%+1 so could never control the code. We can speculate they were likely given a full copy of the code along with updates for the next 18+ months.
OMP is a seperate, umbrella organisation, part owned by Rostelcom, who own their own code and are presumably licensed to use the code Jolla gave them in perpetuity.

The bigger potential problem with the closed code is that itā€™s worth something, probably a $million (Appleā€™s IP is worth around $200tn). If Jolla did fold, the administrators would have to try and sell it. If eg Rostelcom bought it, it would likely be unavailable to us and even the open bits would become closed. So we either need Jolla to stay afloat, or we need a buyer with a similar philosophy else massive leverage to get it mainstream.

2 Likes

Yes, Rostelecom ownes only 45% but how much ownes Boris Krasnovsky ? Maybe together with him it makes more than 50%. Otherwise why is Boris Krasnovsky member of the board? Anyway, you say that the russians are stupid to invest millions in something that they cannot control, and they build an OS for the government use without owning the code, right? Wouldnā€™t have been cheaper with an AOSP?