Weinberg’s Second Law

Weinberg’s Second Law:
If builders built buildings the way programmers wrote programs, then the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.

for SFOS users and programmers to medidate

1 Like

It’s ironic that so many of us studied (RIP) Christopher Alexander when learning to design programs. Well, I did manage to implement the facade pattern properly, once.

What’s his first law, (and 3rd, etc)?

1 Like

After I meditated this, i got a few questions in my mind:

We cannot have all the features we can imagine and stability at the same time?
a building with the complexity of a phone os has usually a few thousand people working for it.
The OS should be more expensive? As expensive as a house? (or a car, or the device itsself)
Are we just getting what we are paying for? Can we pay more?

And quote “nothing is impossible for the one, who doesnt need to do the job”

2 Likes

I don’t know if it’s the 1st or 3rd:

A system is never finished being developed until it ceases to be used.

I’m not sure what my house (second hand buy :wink: cost, but it’s not ‘badly’ built. The problem is some of the design decisions were obviously, fast and dirty. The steps up to the chimney are affixed with nails. The roof is 30 years old. The steps have ‘moved’. The roof tiles have moved. That means gaps where roof tiles abut the leg of a step are, too large. That means rain drips … you get the idea.

Actually this is less of a problem with software. It doesn’t change in that way. If you build close to the metal, it probably won’t slip.

1 Like