Webp file format not supported by Gallery

Both Browser and Mail app can display pictures in webp file format, but if I save thisd to the device the gallery app doesn’t show them (complety invisible = not listed in the picture grid). File Browser app by ichthyosaurus does show the picture too (the downloaded one)…
Is this a bug in gallery app?

I presume it’s not a bug, but no support for those .webp files

Gallery supports picture types: JPEG, PNG, GIF, TIFF, and BMP.

Albeit, its registered for gallery

$ xdg-mime query default  "image/webp"
jolla-gallery.desktop
1 Like

I was going to say it was because it has image/*, but not any longer apparently - now it literally has image/webp. I have a vague recollection that some provider of webp support on openrepos sweet-talked their way into that.

This oddity doesn’t change the fact it is a missing feature though.

1 Like

I have some vague recollection that support for webp was dependent on some compile flag for ffmpeg. But, that’s probably nonsense.

1 Like

…but that is about python-imaging, not ffmpeg.

Not sure which library provides image format support for Gallery.

Thanks @nephros ! Yes, that is what I was thinking of.

I did have a crack at some image generation with the app with a name I can’t pronounce. But, I’m better with a pair of scissors and old magazines :slight_smile: Old school. (I did do graphic design and animation professionally for some time, so, I’m biased:)

Actually, Gallery itself does support displaying webp images, which can be easily checked by tapping a webp image in some file manager (e.g. File Browser) and selecting “Open” from the pulley menu, which will open that image in Gallery.

It’s actually only the Gallery’s grid view that doesn’t show thumbnails of webp images, so they cannot be opened this way.

1 Like

There is qt5-qtimageformats-plugin-webp package that provides webp support for generic Qt use.

However on a quick check tracker-miners doesn’t seem to have an extractor for webp neither in our current version nor in upstream main branch. Thus these files don’t show up on lists of image files on the device.

If someone really wants this, go contribute upstream :slight_smile: Wouldn’t expect even that hard to implement with libwebp, comparing with jpeg support being mostly this src/tracker-extract/tracker-extract-jpeg.c · main · GNOME / LocalSearch · GitLab

5 Likes