VPN login credentials are (also not) saved using PIA VPN

I saw some posts about users using VPN and then losing the login credentials. I have Private Internet Access (PIA) and started using the “openvpn-strong-tcp-nextgen” files from the PIA website. The servers in these files are using aes-256-cbc. The Sailfish OS VPN setup is easy. I discovered that my credentials are saved, too. I don’t have to retype my user ID and password. Out of curiosity, I went to Settings, Utilities, Restart network and the credentials were still saved. Maybe this can help someone out that is trying VPN. My desktop Linux system has a PIA app, too. I have never had problems with the service. So far, no problems with OpenVPN and PIA on Sailfish OS.

2 Likes

Update: I shut my phone down for awhile then turned it back on. The login credentials were lost. Sorry if this caused trouble for someone. Otherwise, the VPN works great.

There will be a generic fix for preserving the VPN credentials over reboots in the next OS update.
And many other VPN improvements.

4 Likes

That sounds great. Thanks for the information.

This is great news - when is the next update due? It will be 2 months running with this bug = why there are no security updates in between large updates?

1 Like

Hi, I have the same issue here. Using OpenVPN with *.ovpn files from ExpressVPN on Sony XA2 with Sailfish OS 3.4.0.24. After a reboot the login credentials are lost, while option to save login credentials was enabled initially.

Another issue that I have with the VPN in Sailfish OS is when on the input screen for the OpenVPN credentials, it is not possible to navigate to the browser or a text file to copy the login credentials, so they can be paste in.

I have the exact same problem as @bass2021, and even worse: credentials are lost not only upon restarting but also upon simply disconnecting from the Internet.
Could you please specify a time for the fix?

just restart net services in settings under “hilfsprogramme” (german). download from the store under jolla apps.

Yesterday I found out that the VPN credentials that I did put in, and were lost, now are available again without me doing anything? The OS has not been updated since then as far as I can see in the OS information. Can somebody give a logic explanation for this? Something spooky is going on here? Or was only a specific application updated in the background?

Hello again. I’m afraid the problem persists even after upgrading to 4.0 and restarting the network through the Jolla utilities. Please tell me what I have to do because I always turn the network off when not needing it which makes using VPN impractical having to enter credentials every single time.

1 Like

I think the problem last time was my VPN itself, it couldn’t connect. However, a day later it did and I was able to verify credentials are no longer lost. I consider this fixed. Thank you for your work.

I’m afraid this isn’t fully fixed after all. I cannot precisely detect a pattern yet, but it seems that when I turn my VPN off and then don’t turn it back on for a day or two, the credentials are lost. The point is that saving VPN credentials in Sailfish is unreliable which forces me to either log in my account to obtain them each time which is inconvenient, or keep them locally in a text file which is insecure. Please work on it some more and I hope you’ll resolve it in the pending 4.1.

1 Like

Sailfish devs, I’m afraid the random drops continue. It’s less often than it was a year ago but still enough to annoy. Mostly I fail to get why it would forget the credentials after marking to remember them every time. I use Proton VPN if this is of any help.