VoLTE support in SailfishOS?

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Process/Merges/TestPlans/ofono/RadioSettings Doesn’t help much but…

So, Germany does it now (O2 latest end of this year) but (‘fortunately’ ?) they will keep 2G open.

Nevertheless this limits the usage of a Sailfish device as a daily driver! :frowning:

Please @Jolla

8 Likes

Oh… i hope I am able to make phone calls next month… :confused: I have Telekom and a backup Vodafone SIM, but both switch off 3G :frowning:

@jolla: is there an official opinion on this topic or do I have to carry another device to make phone calls in the future?

2G will still be available, so yes, you still can make/receive calls. Thankfully, because otherwise I have to get smartphones for my parents and I really don’t want to do tech support for my dad… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Errr, 4g? 3G isn’t fundemental, is it? I don’t thinks calls, sms or even MMS are a problem in Germany (I’m an O2/telefonica client).

EDIT: Am I missing some info on some devices? Don’t all the Sailfish ‘approved’ device support LTE/4g? I’m always on LTE according the volla phone.

LTE they do support, but not calling over LTE, which is a whole different beast. Everytime you’re calling someone or get a call the mobile drops to 3 or 2G.

3 Likes

Ok, which means no change from a practical perspective? Calls and SMS continue to work?

For us in Germany nothing will really change, until they decide to drop 2G alltogether and that may be a long time until then.

1 Like

Thanks! I was responding to the idea that we don’t have a daily driver anymore, which seems to not be the case. phwew. don’t panic.

But the 2G/3G/4G symbol stays displaying 4G on my X10 while talking…
Also I think a frequency change and connecting to another 2/3G base station if connected to 4G and a call comes in, would take too much time, or not? Is this the reason for, that a caller often has to wait few seconds until a ringtone comes?

1 Like

The problem is: 4G coverage is much better than 2G in many areas

2 Likes

Is this the reason for, that a caller often has to wait few seconds until a ringtone comes?

I assumed it is and iirc some people higher in thread mentioned this.

Yup, we will lose out eventually if VoLTE isn’t supported.

4 Likes

Um, well, probably one of us would step in the reverse engineer our way to forcing it into ofono and co. I’m not quite there, but given what mal and piggz, for instance, have done in other areas, I’ll commit. Jolla will, too.

1 Like

I’m a bit confused by this all the time. The MMS services are always over IP, so 4G in my case, most of the time. SMS&Calls I’m still trying to figure out (here in Germany, Telefonica).

@jolla. Please do something about this. @unmainained already created an app for SIP, and there ais Mobian working on an adaptation of VoLTE. Maybe you could port this to SFOS :slight_smile: Thank you really much!

2 Likes

As I was reading the linux project JAMI (Messeges and SIP) is already working on a Pinephone … may there is a solution to find?
https://forum.pine64.org/printthread.php?tid=13004

Erm, … ???
Mobian runs on a couple of devices, and all of them rely on ModemManager to do the Mobile network stuff. On the Pinephone, the modem manages VoLTE all by itself, if you’re lucky and your provider’s profile is already configured on the modem. I’m not aware of any Mobian activity on VoLTE, even on hardware where the modem is accessible in the traditional way (i.e., not via USB).
And even if this would be true, we’d need an ofono implementation of things in our SFOS world, anyway.

6 Likes

Pretty sure the modem will manage everything here too, but that doesn’t make configuring it trivial.
I’d really like people claiming that a userspace SIP stack has any place in this to provide some proof.

And the reason, AFAIK, is cars! eCall systems in existing cars mandate 2G network connectivity.

Which is quite stupid, competely disregarding the fact that no one wants or needs eCall.

(…which is completely off-topic, sorry.)

3 Likes