VoLTE support in SailfishOS?

Don’t get me wrong, I agree with most of what you are saying. I would even happily pay for another SFOS license + phone should it come with VoLTE. I’m just trying to be realistic about the prospect of actually seeing it implemented any time soon, especially if you consider how long it took them to update something as essential as a web browser to a (somewhat) usable level.

2 Likes

I have paid for a license on my Xperia 10 (singe sim).

Once I read that SFOS does not support VoLTE would explain why it never would register on verizon. Had to put a custom ROM back on it to use it as my daily driver.

Not a big deal in the long run

not a big deal only in the sense that neither cell phones nor sailfish are a big deal.
in my opinion, quite a big deal if, say, youve been using sailfish since 2014, meego since 2011, and maemo since 2009, as your primary and only driver for over a decade…

3 Likes

I’ve been using GrandCentral (sadly 2009 re-branded as Google Voice) + Nexmo + SIP for years (decades?) so basically my own version of VoLTE :grin:

What I meant to infer. Not a big deal for me, since I just installed and paid for the license.

You are correct, in the grand scheme of things, it really does matter

I never owned any Android or iOS devices . I guess I’m simply too old to embrace all this spyware kids these days seem to not be able to live without. :slight_smile:
Came directly from Symbian -> Maemo -> SFOS
I’m still hoping data-only SIMs will keep working as there should be no requirement for VoLTE or 2G/3G for data.

7 Likes

Any updates? It’s January 2021. My Xperia 10+ still appears to work however.

I switch to H2O which uses AT&T lines. That will give you till some time in 2022 which by then Jolla should have this implemented.

H2O wireless uses AT&T lines and is cheaper than what I was paying at MetroPCS (T-Mobile). Just made the switch and seems to work better for me.

Thanks for the information…I’ll check it out. I’ve been on T- mobile for a while, but does Sailfish still require you to flash back to the Xperia stock ROM for the phone to be provisioned correctly When switching Sims to a different carrier?

1 Like

No it does not. I did have to set my MMS to IPv6 from the standard setting, but that was about it.

tmobile hasnt shut it down yet. ill wait until they do, then switch to at&t to squeeze another few months out of it.
there is no particular reason to believe that jolla will ever implement VoLTE, for any USA telecom, but heres hoping

1 Like

I’ll do the same thing. Volla emailed me back and said their device does support VoLTE so I suppose that it or Pinephone is the way forward then.

It may be an issue for North American carriers in 2021, but it is the future globally and to ignore it and 5G is a misrake.

1 Like

Volla is an android phone. i mean, the ubuntu touch port of it looks good so far, but its missing a lot still (camera support is limited, for example). i dont know for sure, but i doubt it has VoLTE. maybe you should ask them to clarify if VoLTE is available in ubuntu touch.

(this is similar to how Xperia X has VoLTE support when running android, but not SFOS)

1 Like

Correction on the Volla device…they confirm that it does have 4G/LTE connectivity but not VoLTE.

Which may leave nothing but Lineage, Pinephone, and maybe Librem as options.

I would love to see VoLTE in sailfish since so many things in Sweden needs me to sign in by BankID so i need internet during a call.
Every call that needs me to prove my identity needs VoLTE support and in Sweden those are rather common.
Maybe i can switch to 3G during those calls but i haven’t tested if it works.

4 Likes

telenor sverige reportedly started phasing out 3g last year for much of the country. if you still have 3g service where you live, you wont have to hang up, and switching should be automatic. if you have only 2g and 4g, you will, of course have to hang up.

I use Comviq/Tele2 but 3G has worse coverage than 4G.
The best would be to use VoLTE since i think most will be phasing out 3G in favor of 5G.

looks like youre fine for the next few years. of course, everyone would benefit from VoLTE, just some more than others

3 Likes

I just wanted to share my possible workaround from the other thread here:

Data-only sim card and a subscription to the Textfree service downloaded from the Aptoide store. You’ll need an android device with the play store to purchase the unlimited subscription but you can send and receive phone calls and text messages on that app on your Sailfish phone over 4g/LTE data.

2 Likes