VoLTE support in SailfishOS?

Finally. It is long overdue.

3 Likes

It would be ideal if some enterprising person would set up a SIP service for SFOS users at a reasonable price but I guess there are simply too few out there to make it profitable.
Sadly, I don’t have the time to look into this myself but I’m happy to help.

2 Likes

SIP seems to be a business only proposition at this point.

I did get a Pinephone and checked it out. It was the 3gb/manjaro/KDE version. Unusuable out of the box. I flashed the internal eMMC with Phosh/Mobian and it is usable but far from a daily driver.

1. Even with the 3gb, it is quite slow.
  2. Twice in one week the phone “died” during the course of the day and it required removal of the back plate, battery, and pushing the reset switch to bring it back to life.

Maybe someday, but it will take months.

Currently running Lineage Mermaid which works pretty well, waiting to see what Jolla does with VoLTE.

Offtopic, but build pmos. It is much snappier

Has anyone brought this up in the community IRC meetings? Just curious, i usually miss them cause time zone differences, but it would be good to raise the attention there.

4 Likes

It was brought up a few months ago. You can read the reply and discussions in the minutes: Community meeting on IRC 25th Mar 2021 - #5 by attah

The gist of is, they are looking into it but don’t have anything to share.

3 Likes

3G is going down in Finland at end of 2023. Please support VoLTE to prevent Sailfish phones from dropping to more easily eavesdroppable 2G calls. DNA, Elisa, Telia

8 Likes

First of all, thanks for providing sources. I wasn’t aware of such schedule even existing…

1 Like

… since before Jolla started in 2013: By Nokia.
And an almost working sofia-sip is part of SailfishOS for long (since before 2015): SIP (voip) native integration - together.jolla.com
But the last time Jolla did work a tiny bit on this was in 2015 per SailfishOS 2.0.1, while their roadmap once stated VoLTE will be ready in April - May 2015. One may still install and configure it to the point where it mostly works (although without GUI), except for receiving calls (for both, see aforementioned link).

BTW, there once was a “Jolla’s biggest customer”, who direly wanted this feature (VoLTE): Intex, the Indian company which sold the Aquafish phone (basically a rebranded Jolla C with a slightly different modem). Because JIO, India’s low cost mobile network provider started with 4G (“LTE”) and never offered voice services, only VoLTE (which uses the data channel). Many, many Indian SailfishOS users were extremely frustrated in 2014 - 2016 (then they vanished), because they were never able make calls with their Intex Aquafish phone and a JIO SIM card.

8 Likes

Um, my 8 year old calls me with his watch. Sometimes he calls me to get me to serve dinner. Never underestimate the utility of Vocalized commands.

5 Likes

I’m not sure what’s up but on my Xperia 10 II and on the Spanish Movistar network, I seem to get HD voice calls, or at least it sounds way better than when I call numbers that I know don’t have HD voice enabled. This I believe happens on 3G, so it can’t be VoLTE, right? Is there something in the works that might have enabled these higher quality phone calls?

1 Like

I just got a text from H20 wireless that 3G will be shutdown in the US by FCC mandate Feb 2022. Time is ticking on this issue. :frowning:

In Android there is not no IMS protocol stack for VoLTE, it only has Interfaces to use vendor provided IMS service. Maybe IMS service developed for Android can be used on Sailfish too.

1 Like

One thing that’s kept me from just using my SFOS phone as a wifi hotspot since it got the 4G capability is that it drops the connection to 3G for the duration of a call - and all TCP sessions get cut. That’s extremely annoying. Se even though we’re probably not going to lose 2G networks in Finland anytime soon, the annoyance will be there all the time.

6 Likes

Is the problem there when using UDP VPN session as well?

Nope. And Mosh also works. But sometimes the difference between using a VPN and just a direct connection can be significant if there’s lag somewhere along the way using the VPN but not otherwise.

1 Like

I have disabled 4G from my phone, as 3G has enought bandwidth for my usage. And most of the time it’s connected to WIFI. And 4G eats much more battery. But I need to think what to do after 3G shutdown. Support for VoWIFI (WiFI calling) would be nice, and probably saves battery too. So I hope also to get working support for IMS services on Sailfish.

There was a fix for Android if I’m not mistaken… For Generic images…

I’m with H20 myself (they are an MVNO of AT&T). AT&T are switching off their 3G network in Feb 2022 which will directly affect anyone on a non-VoLTE phone after that point.

It’s not accurate that it’s an FCC mandate but it is accurate that the 3G network that H20 uses will shut down next Feb. My SO is still using a Nexus 5X and has had the SMS message you’ve mentioned. H20 do call it an FCC mandate but that’s not accurate - clicking through the H20 link from the text provides this link to the FCC regarding the issue - note that nowhere in that FCC page does it mention anything about it having mandated carriers to switch off 3g.

The point is that with AT&T deciding to make the switch, H20 have no choice but to do the same as they’re simply reselling service using the AT&T network.

As I mentioned on this thread I don’t have any problem with this not being implemented as it affects a market that Jolla doesn’t serve - legally speaking you can’t buy OS licences from the US and the Sony phones they work on aren’t sold in the US either - the LTE bands they support are very different to the LTE bands AT&T use. From that post, I mentioned that my XA2 supports LTE bands 1-5,7-8,20,38. The main bands AT&T has widespread use of are 12&17, so adding VoLTE support is pointless when my phone can’t connect via the bands it supports as they aren’t the main ones used by AT&T.

Right now the only option seems to be to switch to T-Mobile (or an MVNO that uses T-Mobile) and hope they don’t annonunce a shut-down their in-house 2g&3g network (they’re shutting down the Sprint 2g/3g network next spring) but with AT&T switching in Feb & Verizon in December 2022 I’d assum it’s only a matter of time.

The TLDR version of this post - Sailfish OS is unsupported in the US and even if they add VoLTE support, some, if not all, of the Sony phones supported on Sailfish X were never sold in the US either so don’t have the required LTE bands to work anyway, so adding VoLTE support may well be pointless.

Guess we have to hope that someone makes a phone that Jolla can support that supports the full global range of LTE bands that anyone may need.

3 Likes

I think XA2 model H3123 should have band 12 and 17 support. Other models don’t.
And same applies to Xperia 10 model I3123.