Videos opened with Gallery: Gallery process(es) persist after closing Gallery

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1.0.24
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): X10 II
UI LANGUAGE: German
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?):
Yes (at least I did not noticethis behaviour before)

DESCRIPTION:

With File Browser, you can open video files invoking Gallery using “open” from the pull down menue or you can watch the video with a swipe to the left. Once you opend a video from the File Browser thus invoking Gallery, the instance (process) of Gallery remains open even after closing both, File Browser and Gallery. This can be checked with Lighthouse, for example

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Open a video file with File Browser (thus invoking Gallery) or Gallery
  2. Close Gallery
  3. Open Gallery again (either directly or with File Browser)
  4. Check running processes, for instance with Lighthouse: the Gallery process(es) is(are) still there. This can result in a plurality of instances of Gallery running in parallel and doing nothing on the user interface side (no parallel playback)

EXPECTED RESULT:

Closing Gallery should end the Gallery processes

ACTUAL RESULT:

Gallery processes are running even after closing Gallery

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

Can you somehow try to reproduce this without using File Browser? Maybe check xdg-open from the terminal… I hope it’s a system/gallery bug because I can’t reproduce it and I have no idea how to debug it in File Browser ;).

Just checked with xdg-open: Gallery process closes as expected. However, once I opened a video file with Gallery and closed Gallery, each further opening of a video file - even when opened directly with Gallery - results in an additional process

I can reproduce this with Gallery alone. (BTW: File Browser is great! Thank you!)

1 Like

Just did a further test with the XZ3 and SFOS 3.4.0.24: there the behaviour is as expected. So the problem could be (only) with the aarch64 version of Gallery

I have to correct myself: the bug is not related to File Browser but can be reproduced with Gallery alone
@ichthyosaurus: Please excuse me for wrongly relating the bug to File Browser, initially

Just tested: with XA2 and SFOS 4.1.0 everything is fine. So apparently the issue only affects the Xperia 10 ii

Ah, I’m relieved it’s not File Browser, thank you! :slight_smile:

That narrows it down; hopefully there will be a fix in an upcoming version…