Users in the UK

Hi, I use Sailfish in the UK and have done for over 8 years
I’m keen to start a thread about using Sailfish in the UK

It’s a great thing to use Sailfish OS with the same services as Android/iPhone

In terms of app support - there are four ways to use a Sailfish device in the UK:

• Use a dedicated SailfishOS app
  • Use an Adroid App (sometimes with MicroG etc)
  • Use an HTML5 web app
  • Use an SMS/Call over the phone for non smartphone fallback

I’m keen to learn other people’s tips and tricks
(I’m currently based near London, feel free to chip in your elsewhere)

To start off, I used to use Uber using there HTML5 web app - they call it “web booking”
They turned off “web booking” access to booking a ride.

Not sure if “web booking” booking is still available elsewhere, it still worked in Manchster last time I was up north

Thier native app )which you can get from Aptoide) works with MicroG but sometimes the map looks wonky and it shows errors
They still accept the ride request and I still get home though :slight_smile:

On a side note:
I’d recommend not to use Aptoide, because previously there were flaky apps / sources.
It’s probably more safe to use Aurora Store, which you can download and install from Jolla store and is just a privacy-friendly frontend to Google’s Playstore. You don’t need a Google account to access through Auroa Store.

4 Likes

@jollajo thanks for that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe they do it periodically. I remember having trouble using their web page some years back in Glasgow.
It worked flawlessly in Manchester last month.

Looks like it’s also working when I enter a starting point and a destination within London:

I don’t want to toot my own horn too much, but if you’re using trains alongside Uber (or public transport in London or Manchester in general), there’s an app for that:
openrepos.net/content/anarchyintheuk/multimodal

6 Likes

Big thanks for this, for the life of me I could not remember the name of your app!

Indeed a brilliant app. I’m in the UK and use it all the time.

2 Likes

It’s a great app. Is the version on the Chum repos the same?

I’m sometimes a version or two behind @cypherpunks , but I believe the current version is 0.96 on both repos.