USB host mode on Xperia 10 II?

Hi, I would like to download photos from Nikon DSLR via USB cable directly to phone. By Sony documentation, Xperia 10 II should support host mode. It is possible to use it with the kernel used by Sailfish OS? How?

What makes you say it doesn’t? I thought USB-C only had proper modes and no e.g. simplified OTG stuff. Presumably it is whatever protocol on top that is missing, like MTP or similar.

Well, when I connect phone to USB hub and connect few devices to it, I see nothing in lsusb -v output. I believe that chip/driver really needs to be switched to host mode… MTP/PTP protocol may be handled in userspace, for example by gphoto2 library. But I don’t want to invest energy to its crosscompilation without knowing that it is basically possible…

What i’m trying to say is that it will readily act as a host just fine afaik.
And maybe i missed something; but if you can connect any peripheral at all and it shows up, that is not your issue.
(and this i know is possible, and have done)

If you are implying there are more modes than host and device, please educate me.

Stoopid question. Isn’t an OTG thingy required? I’m not up-to-date on usb-c as a standard.

I don’t believe so - and/or depending on what you mean by it, they don’t really do anything.
For example a “regular” USB-C to Micro-USB cable lets me connect a keyboard just fine.

I’m stuck in thinking about micro controllers (atmel stuff)… I would dearly love to program arduinos directly from sfos in realtime :slight_smile: I have some (SDL2 based) code, with which I can directly generate c which … blah, blah :slight_smile:

But I really need to dig into the specs because I simply haven’t looked at trying something like that.

2 Likes

I think you do need a dongle - I have a OTG one with USB-C on one end and a USB-A socket on the other that I can use to connect a USB stick to my phone. I guess USB-C isn’t as directional, but hubs still are.

1 Like

It is true, it really works with USB-C / micro USB converter and old USB - OTG dongle.

[defaultuser@Xperia ~]$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 04b0:0429 Nikon Corp. D5100
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

1 Like

So how did you have the hub connected before when it didn’t work?

I tried to connect Dell USB-C docking station, that is behaving like usb hub (not Thunderbold one) directly to phone…