Upgrading from 4.0.1.48 to 4.1.0.23 took just under 2 hours and was left at not doing anything so had to force it to switch off using the power and down volume which finally switched off to complete the update

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): Once
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.1.0.23
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): Xperia 10 Plus Dual SIM
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): No

DESCRIPTION:

Upgrading from 4.0.1.48 to 4.1.0.23 took just under 2 hours and was left at not doing anything so had to force it to switch off using the power and down volume which finally switched off to complete the update.

I did a fresh install of 4.0.1.48 then performed the update once I went through the initial setup and demo then checked and performed the update.

This is the first time I have seen it hang but waited nearly 2 hours and the bar appeared to reach the end but nothing was happening thereafter so decided to cut my losses and force it off - initially just holding down the power button didn’t restart the mobile so tried holding down the volume buttons with the power and eventually I managed to restart the device and it appeared to have completed the update and everything appears ok more or less.

PRECONDITIONS:

Fresh install of 4.0.1.48 then without any setup of apps just wifi download and install 4.1.0.23.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Fresh install of 4.0.1.48
  2. Go through setup in English for instance
  3. Go through the demo
  4. Check for updates
  5. Download and install the update

EXPECTED RESULT:

Once the update has finished usually on previous updates it completed in around 45 minutes then restarted.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Let it run for 1 hour and 50 minutes and it got to what appeared to be the end as the bar stopped moving with equal distance on the left and right.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)
If would be good to have an indication with some alert messages and % of completion during the update process so you know if its still doing something like a spinning wheel or different coloured bar for instance.

If it runs into an error or is hanging then maybe an exception error would help so you know something isn’t right. And a suggestion to power down the device using my workaround holding the power button and volume up or down - I cannot remember which option actually worked as I was trying different methods.

Upgrading vom 4.0.1.48 to 4.1.24 on a XA2 DualSim the process seems to hang. Sailfish icon with progress bar shows 100% but nothing happens. After more than 2 hours I did a reboot by the volume and power switch. After the reboot the system/product information shows the version 4.1.0.24.
But how can I be sure that the upgrade procedure did complete the whole upgrade?

devel-su ssu re

Verify you have 4.1.0.4.24, if not:
ssu re 4.1.0.24

Make sure you disable all open repos repositories.
And
version --dup

Or just use olf’s sfos-upgrade from openrepos
(I feel like I am repeating this ;))

I started upgrading vom 4.0.1.48 (as noted) and never installed an open repos repository.
After manual rebooting the device the menu settings/system/product information shows 4.1.0.24. As the upgrade did hang and needed manual reboot I’m not sure, that the upgrade did all it should do.
So, how can I be sure that the upgrade procedure did complete the whole upgrade?
devel-su ssu re shows “Device release is currently 4.1.0.24”

Sorry for the note, but for the benefit of those blindly typing commands,
there is a typo in your suggestion: version is not 4.1.0.48 but 4.0.1.48.

1 Like

OP earned ‘Longest bug report title’ ;-p

1 Like

I tried to upgrade my XA2 plus using ssu re 4.1.0.24 and version --dup. It looked all fine and I rebooted but now I’m stuck with the Sony logo. Entering recovery mode seems to be impossible. I tried it https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002996893 as done previously but Telnet does not connect…tried everything without luck. I am totally desperate :cold_sweat: old_sweat: Any ideas?

I noticed the issue that in order to get into recovery mode, XA2… needs USB 2 instead of USB 3. I got it to a USB 2 connected. Now I’m in and trying to backup what I could not back up before and eventually trying to fix the broken update.

1 Like