Update to 4.3.0.15 failing on xperia xa2

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100% (tried three times before fixing)
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.3.0.12
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): Xperia XA2
UI LANGUAGE: French
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

Update fails quickly after rebooting the phone. A message telling that the update cannot be done is displayed, phone reboots on previous version.

PRECONDITIONS:

I finally found that the reason it fails is that the /opt partitions did not have enough free space. This is shown in the systemupdate.log file:

févr. 22 14:57:44 Sailfish sailfish-upgrade-ui[2852]: Distribution upgrade error: Subprocess failed. Error: RPM failed: installing package aliendalvik-system-10.0.0.58.2.1-1.7.2.jolla.armv7hl needs 84KB more space on the /opt filesystem

This was caused by around 100MB of data in the sdk repository (this phone is also used for app development purposes).

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Fill in the opt directory with a bit more than 100MB of data (sorry, don’t have the exact count)
  2. Try the update 4.3.0.12 → 4.3.0.15
  3. observe that it fails, without an error message

EXPECTED RESULT:

The phone should check the free space before trying the update, and not try to do it if there is not enough free space on /opt.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Update fails.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I have saved the systemupdate.log file for a failed update. I’m not sure if it contains sensitive data, so in doubt i don’t post it (don’t have the time to check yet). I can send it privately if it is needed.

You can try resizing your partitions:
https://together.jolla.com/question/222126/guide-installing-sailfish-x-on-xperias/#222126-33-increasing-the-root-lvm-volume-size

https://together.jolla.com/question/156279/installing-system-updates-fails-when-there-is-not-enough-space-in-system-data-partition/?answer=156670#post-id-156670

Sorry if that was not clear: i already solved the problem, i purged the sdk folder on the opt partition, and update went smooth. I was just reporting this because it may be of interest for the developers (there should be a free size check before the upgrade, and iirc there is one, so either it is missing checking opt or buggy).

3 Likes

Thanks for the report @JulienBlanc, and especially for the update about /opt being full. We now have a report about this on our internal bug tracker, so I’ve tagged it as “tracked”.