Update SaifishOS version - Not enough system memory

So I have to empty my phone, reboot it to Android, then flash the nrwest update after buying from Jolla and then re-install my apps and accounts?

In the worst scenario, you could flash Sailfish without having to go back to Android first.

1 Like

Thanks Jameson (perfect translation of your name!). Could bringing the phone back to factory settings be sufficient?
I am not a dev, don’t like the flashing procedure, so it would be nice to know which minimum steps I have to do. I now have more trouble with my phone than a few years ago.

1 Like

I never had this problem since on my XA2 I enlarged the root partition and on earlier phones the size was not too large. I think a factory reset should do, but after a factory reset you will restart with the latest version you flashed and will have to upgrade through the necessary step releases. You could try though.
By the way, Jameson was also the default name of the ship commander in the '80s game Elite… So seeing that it was the same as my real name I stuck with that. :smiley:

2 Likes

Probably that is just the problem: that we have to go through all the updates.

@Kea if you have already bought the Sailfish X license, you can just download the newest release image from Jolla and reflash the phone with that. The end result would be about the same as doing factory reset, but you would skip the need for updates.

1 Like

Those tools tell me that the largest directory in the system partition is /usr with 780 MiB in /usr/lib and plenty of smaller directories underneath.
However no big portions that are simple to remove.

It worked for the current update to 3.4.0.x, however I’m worried that we’ll run into the same trouble with the next update.
I cannot figure out which app occupies how much disk space.

Thank you. Paying for a new update, that is not my problem really. I will do that. But it is a burden to clean up the device, to flash and to re-install apps and accounts.Flashing is not a usual thing if you are not a dev.
Since yesterday NewPipe does’t work anymore. It’s the third Youtube client that fell, after the Sailfish YT client and Microtube.Google’s fault probably. GPS doesn’t work anymore, Sailfish browser still slow. Problems with calling when outside. I want to stick to Sailfish because I like it, but it’s not easy.

I had to flash my xa2 a total of 3 times with 3.4 (within 2 days) so that all errors disappeared. After the first two attempts I also noticed various errors such as no GPS, Aliendalvik didn’t start, etc. I tested the basics (without setting up an account) immediately and flashed the phone again after the first bugs. Only after the third attempt did everything work again. I don’t know what the problem was, maybe a bad cable, bad connection, voodoo or whatever.

My xa2 was flashed with SFOS for the first time in October 2018. Since then there have only been updates in the terminal with version --dup. Apparently you can’t always do that. In any case, my old Jolla 1 had no problem with that.

A completely different solution would be a full backup including all installed apps. That would make the decision to start from scratch easier.

3 Likes