Unwanted update of manual date and time when network gets activated

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): 4.3
HARDWARE (XA2, X10, X10 II, …): Xperia 10ii
UI LANGUAGE: ANY
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): ?

DESCRIPTION:

Unfortunately some countries spontaneously decide to change the start of summertime, while leaving or forgetting their network on the original date/ time. Now one obviously has to adjust time settings manually by disabling “automatic update” and setting real local time. Unfortunately after using airplane mode and re-entering the 4G network, the phone updates its time to the local (but wrong) network time without asking and despite being in manual mode.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. set date/time to manual in a country with unusual network time offset, e.g. by spontaneously deciding to start summertime a few weeks earlier than planned
  2. put phone in airplane mode, wait 15 seconds, switch back online
  3. time jumps to current network time, which is not the real time (seems it must have updated itself from the network, despite manual preference)

EXPECTED RESULT:

keep manual settings as is, do not use network or internet time updates on network-entry

ACTUAL RESULT:

it sets the time to what the local network seems to be on

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

(Please ALWAYS attach relevant data such as logs, screenshots, etc…)

Old story, asked many times, e.g, here in 2015:
https://together.jolla.com/question/88261/automatic-time-and-time-zone-should-be-separate-settings/

A workaround has been documented at TJC by sailor @spiiroin in 2018 as a reply to a question from 2013:
https://together.jolla.com/question/886/bug-time-zone-changes-to-finland-helsinki-when-enabling-automatic-update-while-no-sim-card-is-inserted/?answer=186489#post-id-186489

Discussed a little bit more in depth as an aside of:
https://together.jolla.com/question/215668/factory-reset-several-upgrades-320-timezone-issues-solution/?answer=216535#post-id-216535

See, it is not a bug, it is a feature! :wink:

More seriously: Yes, usually one would expect that almost 10 years full of complaints about this behaviour would have resulted in an UI redesign, but … it is Jolla.
And mind that it could be(come) worse, so you should be glad to have a manual workaround.

P.S.: Ah, I almost forgot: Please search first! I am pretty sure you also could have found these, and probably similar ones in this forum, too.

Yeah and Jolla said a long time ago that all discussion posts will be moved from TJC to the new forum … it’s really Jolla :thinking:

Newcomers don’t know TJC :wink:

1 Like

Hello and thanks for these older links. Unfortunately they only seem to match on the surface. While they speak about separating settings for auto-timezone and auto-dateTime, my request is actually about NOT updating neither time nor timezone nor date, while on MANUAL. Would be great, if my phone could keep these settings.

1 Like

Thanks for identifying this issue @tplabs, and for submitting it as a bug report, and I’m sorry that it’s been causing you problems.

I’ve recorded it in our internal issue tracker and tagged it as “tracked”. If there are updates to the bug, I’ll do my best to report them back here.