Unable to open email in email app

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): Every time
BUILD ID = OS VERSION (Settings > About product): OS 3.4 Build 3.4.0.24
HARDWARE (XA2, Xperia 10…): Pine64 PineTab
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Unknown

DESCRIPTION:

After successfully adding a IMAP email account, all emails are downloaded and notifications for new emails is working. How-ever upon trying to open a email message a white background appears with the reply buttons below, then after 5-8 seconds the entire app seems to crash and go back to the main menu

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Add IMAP email account (accounts, other)
  2. Open Email App
  3. Open any email message
  4. Email starts to open, hangs then crashes

EXPECTED RESULT:

Email opens and can read the email message

ACTUAL RESULT:

Email window starts to open, no next appears, then crashes

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

This happens on any email, not just a specific one. Also, I’m able to send a email successfully.

Renderers using the Gecko library don’t work yet on non-hybris based (i.e. Mainline Linux) devices. Jolla does not officially support them, so unless you or somebody else does something about it it’ll just stay that way.
There are a lot of other operating systems for Pine64 products that don’t rely on libhybris and properly show mails.

Ah, that’s a shame. I really like Sailfish OS. Thanks for the update

PinePhone, same issue.

Any alternative email clients for Sailfish?

Aha, that explains why my new setup on a PinePhone crashes when opening an email, even though on my Xperia it’s fine. Gecko screws things up again!

If only plaintext was an option . . . that’d be kindof nice for better styling anyways :wink:

The only ones I know of are console-only: mutt and alpine.

I wonder what would happen if you shoved the html part of an email into a qml RichText Textfield, would it display?

Wasn’t this fixed last year? Are the ports up to date?
Edit: seems it was not fixed by the initial patch, but coming in the future https://github.com/sailfishos/gecko-dev/pull/121

3 Likes

Funny, the Nemo.Email module actually gives access to plaintext parts of emails.

It’s quite easy to patch in a viewer for that.

Per default it’s wrapped in simple html and opened in webview.

1 Like

It’s not all roses :frowning: I’m struggling to get better rendering of html (simplified) in Tidings. It get’s more and more complicated when you want to rescale, re-orient. But that is, in effect what tidings does.

Yeah! I hate the html first approach. I use claws-mail and don’t display html by default.

Small plug, tested on 4.2:

https://coderus.openrepos.net/pm2/project/patch-email-plain

1 Like

Oh nice! Tested it myself on my SailfishX’d Xperia 10 Plus and it works like a charm, many thanks! :sunny:

Edit: As you mentioned you tested it on 4.2, I should note that I’m on 4.3.

Thanks for testing, I have updated the compatability on Web Catalog.

I have the same problem on X 10-2 after the recent update ;(

Are you still experiencing this bug?

Yes. Calendar and email is totally broken. With the last release also webcal, not only exchange. Calenders dont show up, show up double, dont sync etc etc.
Like gambling