Unable to install apk from file [3.4.0.22]

REPRODUCIBILITY (% or how often): 100%
BUILD ID: 3.4.0.22
HARDWARE (Jolla1, Tablet, XA2,…): Xperia 10
UI LANGUAGE: English
REGRESSION: (compared to previous public release: Yes, No, ?): Yes

DESCRIPTION:

I’m no longer able to install an apk from file. I get a message that installer is launched but nothing happens. This is the effect, even if Itry to launch the installer with files I’ve downloaded and installed successfully using 3.3 (but have uninstalled now).

PRECONDITIONS:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE:

1. Download an APK
  2. Try to install it

EXPECTED RESULT:

The installer is launched and the application is installed or a message about incompatibility is shown.

ACTUAL RESULT:

Nothing happens

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

I can successfully run installed Android applications. I have also tried the fix posted by jovirkku in the thread about Alien Dalvik not working, without success.

2 Likes

Well, neither can I. I’m on an XA2, freshly flashed with 3.4.0.24. Activated allow untrusted installations, downloaded f-droid, but can’t install, neither via download, nor via built-in file manager.

I just thought it didn’t work, because I didn’t got any feedback when tapping the .apk. Turns out, it did work just fine.

I did activate allow untrusted sources, and for good measure deleted the Alien* files in cache as per jovirkku’s comment.

1 Like

You are correct, thank you! As the apps that were installed were placed on a new screen (I’ve just reached the breakpoint), I didn’t see them.

But the apps that didn’t work (I know this since I tried them on 3.3 and got error about unsupported Android version), there’s no feedback.

I did clear the cache before trying to install the apps, to rule out that issue, even though I was able to launch installed Android apps directly after upgrade.

I guess I have to create a new bug report about installer not showing :slight_smile:

1 Like