Tips and Tricks

I was looking for a thread to find some tips & tricks regarding sailfish os - more like an Easter egg. Since I could not find one, I thought I will create one and give some few tips as introduction. It might not be new to many, but might be useful for few at the least.

1. Double tap on the top most edge of the screen to lock the device without pulling down the shortcut screen and clicking on the lock icon.

2. To select entire line or whole paragraph of text, keep pressing the cursor until your intended text are selected. Long pressing the cursor for first few seconds will select only the word on which the cursor was placed. Long pressing it further selects the entire line. On pressing further the entire paragraph is selected.

Hope others will post unknown or lesser known tips and tricks.

20 Likes

Nice thread/idea for newcomers - and not only

My contribution:

If you want to turn off your screen, press the on/off button once, but if you also want to lock the phone, press it twice. The device will be locked immediately despite your automatic locking timer.

P.S. Selection tip n.2 works for me on apps, doesn’t work on website, e.g. this forum.

8 Likes

Maybe it would be useful to transform this into a wiki?

9 Likes
  1. Go to Settings/About product and long press on your IMEI number to see extra info, you can do this with the Build number too.

2. Also in About product, tap 4 or 5 times on Build number to open CSDTool (diagnostic tool) (or simply type csd into Terminal to open CSDTool)

10 Likes

Press hardware buttons Volume Up and Volume Down at the same time to get a screenshot.

5 Likes

There is a nice visual indication to show when the app grid becomes sticky while pulling it up. While pulling the app grid up, when you hold it for a second, the handle color changes to the primary ambience color. Release your hand at this instant to stick the app grid.

3 Likes

@bane07 change first post to the wiki. Ask moderator for this.
Will be more readable for people.

1 Like

how to jump to top or bottom of web page?

1 Like

Take a photo by pressing either of the volume buttons (this certainly applies to my Xperia 10 ii).

2 Likes

A famous one: if you need to rotate the device but don’t want your app to go in landscape mode (or viceversa), keep a finger on the screen while rotating to temporarily deactivate the sensor.

6 Likes

Sorry, how do I do this? And may I know who the moderator is?

Hi @bane07

Anyone with the Leader badge on Sailfish OS Forum can do it.
And people with the Regular badge on Sailfish OS Forum can move threads.

Speaking of; I can move this to the category #getstarted, it is a better fit for this kind of thread.

Please go ahead. I am ok with either of the options - moving to #getstarted or changing to wiki.

1 Like

Changed to wiki, moved to #getstarted

6 Likes

I just found this page in the official documentation: Sailfish OS Tips & Tricks | Sailfish OS Documentation

4 Likes

On the bottom right of your first post, you can flag it to ask a mod to turn it into a wiki.
edit: Haha, answering 6 month too late. Gonna delete this post.

Press power button once to blank the screen, then, double press the power button to go straight back to the last you left open/running. This is certainly the case on Jolla1, untested on Xperia 10 II.

5 Likes

Nice one. Works on xa2, too.

Plan is that we start gathering general user Tips & Tricks to the docs. If you have good ideas, contributions are welcome as always. There are already good ones added here.

1 Like

I think, this should be implemented per web page and not in the browser. Like most of the websites have “Scroll to Top” option. I haven’t seen “Scroll to Bottom” though.