The Volla 22 (Gigaset GS5) Thread

A well, yes OK I’m an advanced user :flushed:. Still no developer :innocent:

1 Like

I can’t get this working on a Rephone. It doesn’t ask for a PIN after boot and when I open the settings and insert a PIN, I can press the checkmark and nothing happens. I only can press the cross and the SIM isn’t registered (it is called “Unbekannt” which means something like “unknown”). Reboot doesn’t lead to askig for PIN either.

Ah, I see what I did wrong:
I had to disable the SIM card and in the PIN section activate it after reboot.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying! There seem to be two different conditions. ONCE you have the card and pin mechanism working, subsequent reboots seem fine with just toggling on and off. But, as I just had after flashing, initially you need to do what you’ve described.

1 Like

Heh. Ok, so back to the drawing board. Having used the same method as @jauri.gagarin.II on the reflash, I tried the usual dance I do on the daily GS5 and it DID NOT work. Till the third try. I’m going to have to start a thread for this.

Oh, you’re gonna challenge the famous “GPS stopped working” thread!
biggrin

1 Like

Hmmm, Wifi is and stays the main annoyance on my rephone. There are not only the already stated problems, ehich got somewhat better after the last reflash. On Top I can see a lot of inconsistent behaviour. For example when I turn on Wifi, The phone always asks, what network I want to connect. Even so it already conncts to my home Wifi in the background. Or quite often when I turn WLan off the button in the top menue stays activated. But WLan is off.

The biggest impact is power consumption, when WLan is on. It eats my battery alive. The whole device has capabilities to survive two days easily without charging. But with Wifi on, it only lasts one day until I have to put it on the charger. I have that under control using situations app, which turns off Wifi, when the screen is off and turns it on again, when screen is on or the charger is connected.

hy

anyone tested vpn on 0.21 update? (Mullvad VPN)
working or not…?

I only connect to my FritzBox via VPN. No problems so far.

I was just comparing this with the GS5 since they have a number of different odd behaviors. Both drain on wifi. But the GS5 doesn’t display this choose the network issue. We had noticed that they seem to pick different interfaces (wlan0 vs. wlan1). I’m guessing that the solution is something like disabling the extra interfaces?

Ah, ok. I’ve been doing this ‘by’ hand. This is the situations app from the jolla store? In any case, With moderate (1 hour active with minimal network use) I had managed to get over 5 days out of the GS5.

I load the open vpn config from mullvad…
connect error :frowning:

Hello Meistro Piggz

update to 0.24?
:blush:

1 Like

@piggz thank you very much for this port which is running very good on my Rephone.
I am still in the process of setting everything up. So I’d like to ask, before I have to do it again :wink: Is there a reason why the used/free space seems to be only half of the capacity of the available 128GB?

1 Like

No It is the version from here:

I don’t know yet, how long battery lasts with situations. I have that configured just since the day before yesterday. But judging from the powerconsumption so far, the 5 days with VERY moderate use seem to be realistic.

Regarding the wlan interfaces, I don’t know if it is really that trivial to deactivate one interface. I’m too much user for that. I hope that @piggz can deliver some more information or maybe even a solution. The question is, why are there two interfaces. Are there really two Wifi modules build in???

1 Like

Is it ok to go for 0.24?

@piggz, the volla22 is still at .21, or?

i think .21

https://repo.sailfishos.org/obs/nemo:/testing:/hw:/volla:/halium-mimameid:/

Flashed my Volla (GS290) half an hour ago using UBports Installer, it’s on 4.5.0.19 now.

You should all update to .21 … even if you are on .21, you should refresh and update to get a small update i just made.

You should then try to update to .24 … if everything works as expected, you should get a warning that you will break your system. If it doesnt do this, still dont update because i havnt make a .24 yet :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks very much @piggz !