The screen goes black and that's it

Thanks for tip. Solved my problem too. :relieved: First time ever phonehook caused problems :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I may have the same problem with X10+:

• I first got the info that I needed more space to complete the upgrade to 3.4.
  • I deleted an app and could lauch the update process
  • the update run for some time until an error message (something like ‘could not be finished’) and the option only to reboot
  • but lipstick seems to crash as it passes the first unlock but then the screen flashes. The same occurs after many reboot
  • I can access the phone via ssh but the phone screen remains empty
  • I noted that ssu release was still on 3.3 but the terminal shows that the phone is under 3.4. This points at an unfinished update
  • when I run version --dup from cli, I have an error message

Error: Medium not attached: plugin:/ssu?repo=adaptation0
Finished transaction (status=2, runtime=3609ms)
UPGRADE NOT COMPLETE - Retry 1 of 9

There is the same message when I run the version–dup on release 3.3 or 3.4.

found it by myself :wink:
devel-su pkcon remove phonehook

2 Likes

I have the extract same issue on an XA2. Also appearing when release set to 3.3 and 3.4.

I’m able to curl the repo so it’s not a network connection issue.

EDIT: Also checked if my Jolla account was enabled which it was.

Link: https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001643933-Checking-accounts-from-command-line-ag-tool-

EDIT 2: Sadly it’s not possible to skip repo check just install with cache using "version --dup.
it might be possible to update using “pkcon update” but also risky.

For me it was patchmanager. rpm -e --noscripts patchmanager

2 Likes

Had the same problem, update broke. and asked for help in the telegram channel

cp /usr/lib/zypp/plugins/urlresolver/ssu /usr/libexec/zypp/plugins/urlresolver/
and rerun version --dup after doing that

The reason my installation broke was aliendalvik-control so i had to remove that before the update would work rpm -e --noscripts aliendalvik-control

2 Likes

I tried to follow your suggestion but “version --dup” is stuck at “Refreshing: 0%”. I tried waking the device by tapping at it to it doesn’t not help.

EDIT:

“zypper refresh” is a bit more informative.

Retrieving repository 'adaptation0' metadata ..................................................................................................................[error]
Repository 'adaptation0' is invalid.
[adaptation0|plugin:/ssu?repo=adaptation0] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
Please check if the URIs defined for this repository are pointing to a valid repository.
Skipping repository 'adaptation0' because of the above error.
Retrieving repository 'adaptation1' metadata ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[|]
Retrieving repository 'adaptation1' metadata ..................................................................................................................[error]
Repository 'adaptation1' is invalid.
[adaptation1|plugin:/ssu?repo=adaptation1] Valid metadata not found at specified URL
Please check if the URIs defined for this repository are pointing to a valid repository.
Skipping repository 'adaptation1' because of the above error.

So it seems like the issue persists despite copying the file as suggested.

exactly the same here, stuck at 0% :confused:

i was to, for about 20 minutes. but then it started ticking up slowly

I have similar. Upgraded to 3.4 and while I can enter the pass code to decrypt my device I get blank screen as soon as Battery Overlay then starts.

My USB us set to “choose” so can’t select connect via developer mode on the phone so would welcome advice on how to access via putty etc. and how to delete disable battery overlay which I suspect is causing the problem please?

Thanks in advance.

If your phone is not connected to wifi and therefore you can’t reach it that that try this:

You should get into recovery mode: https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002996893-Xperia-X-devices-How-to-use-the-Recovery-Mode

After recovery mode has started, telnet to the device and press the number to start a shell.

After starting a shell you can type this to mount the home partition:
mount /dev/sailfish/home /rootfs/home

As the root partition is already mounted and ready for chroot type this:
chroot /rootfs

You’re now in chroot and should be able to manipulate the system and uninstall packages.

When ready to reboot, just exit the shell by running “exit” to times and press the correct number to reboot the device from the recovery shell.

2 Likes

@Louis thanks for the very quick response and for the link to using recovery mode. I’ll try to access via wifi first as I don’t fully understand all that you’re saying about telnet and chroot.

maybe you can add phonehook as a precondition to your bugreport :slight_smile:
if your topic is still editable for you.

That did it for me. After a bit of time it started installing packages and then some time after the display was back.

1 Like

I had same problem, but managed to select mode by plugging usb right after entering pin-code just before blanking happened.

1 Like

same here. I was stupid enough to trigger the update without uninstalling phonehook or patches. Upgrade told me Backup did’t work, then Upgrade downloaded, then Upgrade installed, then splashscreen informed update did not install, I should restart for prevous state. That last part did not work either, my X10 has a black (dark blue actually) screen since. coupe of times it arrived to sony’s unlocked warning, though.

@ninepineIf you can’t connect via wifif and you need further clarification please me know.

I finally managed to update my device. Just have to wait on “version --dup” to finish refreshing.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, added phonehook as precondition :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can report back that I managed to finish the upgrade. I will report what I did but not sure exactly what solved it:

• I changed ssu release to 3.4 as it remained stuck in 3.3 despite some packages updated to 3.4
  • as suggested here, cp /usr/lib/zypp/plugins/urlresolver/ssu /usr/libexec/zypp/plugins/urlresolver/ may have opened the possibility to rerun version–dup
  • I also did ‘pkcon download . ssu’ to manually update ssu package (following suggestion from @mal)
  • I removed (not sure it helped) using pkcon: aliendalvik-control (even though I had updated to the version coderus said was compatible with 3.4) and storeman (the dev said it was not working until a fix)
  • you have to wait for some time before version–dup completes. The first try ended up with an error message but an automatic retry worked.
  • I could reboot. To make it safe, I rerun version–dup and indeed it found further packages to update
  • another reboot and version–dup finally says no available updates

voilà I can enjoy 3.4 now :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Louis Many thanks for the help.

I managed to login via putty and wifi.

https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202346707-SSH-connection-over-WLAN-from-Windows-to-Sailfish-device

A username of defaultuser would not work however giving “Access denied” when I entered my password.

But I could login using username nemo and my password (which is different to the advice on Zendesk) (I’m going to set my USB to developer mode from now on)

Then using

devel-su
pkcon remove phonehook

and

pkcon remove harbour-batteryoverlay2

I removed both Phonehook and Battery Overlay.

Rebooting my Xperia 10 Plus now works fine and it’s back to normal running 3.4.0.22!

Fantastic.

Thanks again.

NB Now I’ve got 3.4 Google Calendar Sync seems to be fixed too.

1 Like