The Pinetab2 Thread

Issue Reports: https://github.com/sailfish-on-dontbeevil/droid-config-pinetab2

Installation Instructions: Flash to an SD card using the flash-it script here https://github.com/sailfish-on-dontbeevil/flash-it/blob/master/flash-it.sh and say yes to all questions, and boot using the debug dongle

Donations: https://paypal.me/piggz

First boot!

25 Likes

Nice. The next step is to make the auto-orientation settings work properly.

Considering that pine2tab has not the related sensor in its BOL, it can be done just manually or automatically only if the keyboard connection brings more information than a USB charging connection and the I2C works properly to check the USB sub-system about that connection.

However, this depends how the Pine people designed the hardware but usually is the I2C bus that deliver information about the sub-devices internal states. I am curious about I2C because it does not seem particularly reliable on Xperia 10 II, not the hardware but the kernel sub-system / driver which comes with SFOS.

you are my hero @piggz

1 Like

I’m pretty sure piggz knows what to do next, and also how to do it.

5 Likes

Mine too: another device on which things are not going to work properly… :rofl:

Nope, seriously, I hope that Adam can make everything works smoothly on a open-hardware device.

Otherwise, there will be no any more excuse for the SFOS to being a crappy system. :wink:

Mee too, and auto-orientation is the next feature needed to use the display with the keyboard without keeping the head turned by 90° while typing. Don’t you?

I hope we both would not like the idea that Adam gets a neck-pain disease because typing at 90°… :wink:

Thankyou for pointing this out, I may have missed it otherwise! :smiley:

Funnily, it doesnt rank quite as high as

• Checking the kernel config
  • Getting the device to boot without hacks
  • Networking

But you can of course PR any suggestions at GitHub - sailfish-on-dontbeevil/droid-config-pinetab2 :wink:

8 Likes

Also, the power button not reporting key-release event is quite important too

4 Likes

Well, without the network working you cannot use ssh or telnet to operate on the device and therefore having the auto-orientation settings work properly would be a huge advantage.

Moreover, to make it working - as I anticipated, most probably - the kernel config should be revised and also the boot hacks removed - as far as - they can interfere with the kernel, I do not think so but I cannot exclude it. What kind of hacks? Abstruse parameter settings into kernel cmdline should not be considered hacks, as far as I know.

BTW, it seems to me that you set the right path for achieving the screen auto-orientation. :wink:

Unfortunately, I do not remember if SFOS allows to set every orientation with the manual setting.

Hence, I made a quick search in this forum and I found that it is possible with a simple hack.

I hope this helps.

update

It might be or might not:

• It depends by the reason of the failure.
  • It depends if it slows down your activity.
  • it depends on the product maturity level.

I would exclude the 3rd case, for now.

Power button fixed, sensors fixed, still no wlan

But with fixed sensors comes

14 Likes

and wlan

14 Likes

wow! running wlan is really a cool thing. All other distributions have not yet ready wlan driver…

2 Likes

Cant take all credit, the kernel with wlan driver is from the Okpine project, and Herman from the LuneOS port been a great help and source of knowledge.

6 Likes

Added some info/links to the top post.

1 Like

Some quick install instructions added to the first post. Basically, use flash-it to flash an SD card and boot using the debug dongle.

4 Likes

Just wanted to try it out. But when I connect the UART adapter my pinetab2 doesn’t start oO

uart is in the bottom port, and the usb cable attached to the lower port on the uart, and the switch set to SD ?

1 Like

Everything except the USB cable, what’s on there? Charging cable or something?

I’ve now tried it with the UART adapter but nothing happens with minicom, no matter how long I press

I solved the problem and will test and set it up extensively this evening

2 Likes