The Nextcloud Talk client for Sailfish OS thread

harbour-nextcloud-talk

available from OpenRepos, project at https://codeberg.org/blizzz/harbour-nextcloud-talk

In it’s current stage it is an chat-only client. Development might not appear fast (especially during lock down…), but halfway steady.

When I started it, there were too many Android apps running and my phone, and decided to take a decision: away with them. It felt pointless to have a nice mobile OS, but using software from a different platform, because of lack of native ones. Using and relying on Android would not help that situation. To fill a gap, I started working on this, scratching the famous own itch.

There’s still some things to polish, improve and extend.

18 Likes

Thanks for your work on this. I’ve been using it since a recent upgrade of my server to use Nextcloud; keep the updates coming!

3 Likes

I’ll just copy my thoughts/comments from Openrepos.net here:

Notifications work partly: nessage and blinking led, but no sound (XA2)

How to start a new conversation from within the app? Didn’t find anything to do so…

When restarting ngfd does not work to get sound working… well i got some doubts about the ngfd configuration i provided. Sadly there is not much of documentation about it. I need to play around with it some more, stay tuned.

Not implemented yet :speak_no_evil:

Great app! Thanks!

Would love to see the coming updates:

-Send files/images
-Call/Videocall
-Start chat

Thanks for the great work.

Cordially,
Martin Book

1 Like

The App allows to connect Nextclouds. My is connected to four instances, and I’d like to see from which instance the Chat/User. If I have a User Carl in Cloud One and another Carl in Cloud 2 I can’t see in the chat list which one contacted me. So adding the instance Name after the User name (with @ or on brackets) would be helpful.

Is there a way to show an indicator who is online?

What I’d like to do at some point is to get the theme color of each connected Nextcloud and use this as an indicator next to the room. Perhaps locally editable to deal with collisions.

1 Like

And that’s now implemented.

1 Like

Today’s update brings

• Enhance cover image resolution #25 (@nephros)
  • German Translation #26 (@nephros)
  • decorate “user added” message #24 (@nephros)
  • Presence (away/busy/offline) + user status support #28 (@nephros and @blizzz)
  • Talk 12 (Nextcloud 22) compatibility #31, #32 (@blizzz)
  • Aarch64 Build (experimental, have no device for testing)

Kudos to Nephros for his contributions and patience :slight_smile:

I am thinking of dropping the alpha. Not, because there are not enough sharp corners left - there’s plenty of them, but rather because I don’t see any other app do this too :smiley: Opinions? Probably does not mater?

2 Likes

I think as long as it isn’t in jolla harbour alpha or even beta state don’t matter at all.

1 Like

Hi,

a “ignore SSL-errors”-option would be nice, like in the native Nextcloud-account-settings, just to avoid the need to struggle around with self-signed certificates (or please give a good instruction how to import a selfmade certificate to the phone, so the app finds the server correctly).

Thanx for Your effort anyway!!

1 Like

This I would like also to know! Because I use a self-signed certificate I am not able to use this app, so I am stucked with the Android version in which Notifications are not working.

My usage of Talk has spiked now that I have discovered I can bridge IRC, Matrix, and Telegram into my NC instance.

It’s great!

1 Like

I put my certificate on the phones certificate store and it works.
But i have an own root certificate (which i put on the phone) and a ssl (sub)certificate for the NextCloud server :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

I do not get it. Where is phone certificate store?

It’s under the /etc/pki hierarchy.

In order to use a selfmade certificate, i.e. one signed by a CA not in the root CA list, you have to add your CA certificate to the trust store.

See the section Add the CA certificate to the local Sailfish trust list (OpenSSL) in the README here.
Note that the other parts of that Readme are unrelated, but you may want to read the certificate-related ones for context.

1 Like

I put my certificate in ‘/usr/share/pki/ca-trust-source/anchors’ and call ‘/usr/bin/update-ca-trust’.
The script put the certificate ‘/etc/pki/ca-trust/extracted/openssl/ca-bundle.trust.crt’ …

1 Like

Somehow I am not able to make nextcloud talk sailfish app to accept my url. I add the certification (in .cer format, i hope is not an issue). The browser shows the certification properly, but nextcloud talk still do not accept the address. Maybe it doesn’t like the certificate, because is coming from my ISP?

.cer is not a file format, it’s just a file extension convention. it can contain a DER format or a PEM format certificate. I believe you need PEM for it to work.
But if the browser accepts it (and you can see it in Settings), all should be all right.

1 Like

Yes, browser is showing the certificate. Even Jolla Browser is showing it. Somehow Nextcloud Talk Sailfish App is not willing to validate the address. It would be nice, to have the possibility to ignore the SSL certificate. Anyway, the next step is to take the code and modify it to bypass the verification. Thank you for the infos!