The last supported Jolla versions

Jolla has informed me that support for Jolla and Jolla tablet support has been dropped. I haven’t followed this forum so maybe this is widely known. However, I was disappointed in the calendar app in the latest version. Then I checked and found that the default calendar app still works in Sailfish version 3.2.

Hopefully this was news to somebody.

Have a better new year 2021!

1 Like

How were you ‘informed’?
In this blog post there is only the phone (First One) mentioned.

1 Like

In a response to my calendar issue in Jolla support (zendesk).

1 Like

That is odd!
As it would also mean the JollaC would be out of support (only Sailfish X)?

afair:
Jolla1 has oldest Android Support 4.1
but Tablet and JollaC have 4.4

So that would not make sense …

Corrected/clarified by @vpp.

So it is really only the Jolla1 out of support (for now … ).

2 Likes

Well, damn, thanks for posting this topic, I hadn’t seen that blog post yet (perhaps ‘milestone’ blog posts should be linked here in the Announcements section). I can completely understand the reasoning behind dropping support, but I still use my Jolla 1 as my one and only phone. Recently it seems the SIM card reader has started malfunctioning, though, so I perhaps I should be looking for a new device… I’ll hijack this topic to ask:
What’s the smallest phone that runs Sailfish with support for Android applications?

The XA2 is just slightly bigger then the J1.

2 Likes

Thanks! Then I think I’ll have to wait until they start making smaller phones again, as I always felt the Jolla 1 was ever so slightly too big to use with one hand.

2 Likes

While I fully understand why the Jolla1 is a maintenance burden, I must say that the timing of this is bad. A year ago or so there was a discount when buying a new Sailfish license. I really tried to do that, but for one or another reason I disliked the available phones. Now the J1 is deprecated. What can I do now?

• buy one of the phones I disliked a year ago?
  • buy a recent other phone and leave Sailfish?

One problem is that the only available options are still the same phones. And even if I would like one of them, they are already quite old in terms of mobile devices. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the newest supported phone is almost 2 years old.

I would very much welcome if we could get fix-updates (i.e. only version bumps of things like OpenSSL) for the J1 based on the current stable version for at least as long until a new phone is available.

2 Likes

Just chill a few weeks. It looks like there is a new Xperia to be supported, and it looks to be the Xperia 10 II. It’s still a bit odd form factor, but it appears to have gotten most other things right - at lest for what can be expected in the midrange.

1 Like

If you can get hold of a XA2 (not Plus/Ultra) you will still be happy with the form factor.
I tried with XA2 Plus but never flashed Sailfish as it was just too big (also reason for not going the FxTex way :frowning: ). But then I snapped an as new XA2 on Amazon and this is what I use right now…

The 10 and also 10 II will not be what you (and me) will like.

1 Like