Thanks Jolla for all the efforts! [Upgrade to X10 III]

Hey,

I used the Jolla 1 roundabout 4 years. After that, I upgraded to a XA2. It was a huge improvement regarding the overall experiences, the usability and the speed. Nowadays I got some issues, that are already highly mentioned at this forum. E.g. slowly loading camera app (if it loads at all), frequently crashing browser, no VoIP-Calls, very slow GPS.
Last week I decided to give the X10 III another try. So far, I do not regret. The overall experience is very fast, browsing the web now is really fun and comparable to android. Okay, some sites keep constantly crashing, but just very few ones. Seems to be not a memory issue to me.
I’m quite happy about the camera app. It’s opening fast and reliable. That’s a huge improvement to me!
As well as the GPS: all the navigation apps for sure benefit from the overall better resources. But the time to get a gps fix is very well. To me it’s roundabout 10-20s. And I’m quite happy with that. Compered to the XA2 the average accuracy also improved. So I can use my phone now as a quite good tracker for sports.

Why do I write all this down?
Well, there are at least two reasons. At first: A lot of questions in this forums are about problems and issues. And I think: that’s what’s this forum is supposed to do. Document, analyze and report all bugs. But to me this causes a shift in my perception. Most people which are happy with there phones and with SFOS will not write anything. I mean: for sure there are issues and problems. But besides that, jolla is doing a very great job. They resisted some very stormy days on there mission and are still developing this awesome OS. I’m thankful to them. That’s the reason why.

Second: I just want to document for myself my happiness with SFOS on the 10 III. I’m wondering, if my expectations to SFOS will shift in the next few years as they did on the XA2. To bad, my jolla 1 died and I can not compare them anymore.

To conclude: I’m very thankfull to jolla and look forward to all the stuff that’s coming next.

40 Likes

I am still on the XA2, and I am very happy with the improvements of the Sailfish OS 4.5! Agreed, I sometimes have to wait 10 seconds for the camera to come up or 2 minutes until it finally gets a GPS fix, but that is all I can complain about.
If I was on Android I would have ran out of security updates years ago. Sailfish helps me to keep my phone longer, living a bit more sustainable before I eventually replace it with a newer Sailfish phone. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I agree with most of your statements. If only the core feature of a smartphone (which is mobile data connectivity) would work more reliably.

2 Likes

“But to me this causes a shift in my perception.”

Exactly.
People don’t talk about ontime trains.
If I’d not be interrested in tech aspects, I’d have no or very few reasons to write on this forum.

+1 for the sustainability that Jolla allows by keeping older phones like XA2 up.

Where I’d not fully agree with you: XA2 4.5.0.19 (flashed) makes me very happy and still works great !
I’m almost sure yours would also do. Perhaps a fresh reflash would help.

Anyway, my wife and a friend, both non-tech at all, are also using SFOS. They are happy too!

4 Likes

Maybe I will do this in some weeks. But for now, I need to migrate all that not so important stuff like podcasts, news feeds, wlan passwords, wlan configuration (quite difficult at the university), email configuration. I always forget them.

Actually, without VoLTE, after T-Mobile PL switched off 3G network, my XA2 Ultra with SFOS became basically a movie player. In order to be able to still use it as a phone, I’d need to reflash it with Android to get back VoLTE.

Uh?vodafone italy did shutdown 3g years ago, but i’m still using the xa2 as a phone, it just switches to 2g to make phone calls

Don’t tell me they switched 2g off too…

And by the way, vodafone italy does not support xperias for volte, so it was the same exact situation on android too…

The problem is that along with having shut down the 3G network they also started to shrink their 2G network. A year ago I had nearly 100% 2G signal strength in all my house indoors, and now it is in the 1% - 10% range, barely usable. In some parts of the house there’s no coverage at all. F*****g progress, it’s worse than in mid 1990’s.

1 Like

Oh that’s bad

Lucky for me they didn’t shrink 2g coverage

But i’ll tell you, there’s no much difference for me as my operator does not support volte on xperias, and it’s quite ridicolous as they seems to support my mum’s chinese phone…

I want to also thank Jolla team for Sailfish OS and this forum users as well. To me Sailfish OS is the only one I can live with. I had to survive with android phone almost for one week recently and it was not happy time.

I have been Sailfish user from the quite beginning (2013). I have had two Jolla1 phones which I liked a lot. The small size was one big reason.

Then I moved to Xperia 10 II. I loved it (still do). But two weeks ago something went wrong with the update 4.4.0.72 >> Struven ketju. I didn’t want to rush so android phone in use and checking this forum and Sailfish OS webpages.

I have to say that the instructions here in the forum and OS webpage are awesome. Because I, just the happy user can do some tricky things with phone and laptop. Without instructions it would be no go, dead end.

So, my 10 II didn’t open. I managed to get some data via recovery mode but in the end I didn’t need them. Fortunately I had backups so I was able to get everything back which was important. I did lose Whatsapp messages but thats ok because it’s just a message tool to me. Reinstalling Sailfish back to 10 II was smooth.

Before that I did buy Xperia 10 III and lisence to that. It had Android 11 installed but the phone offered new system updates. I don’t remember that there had been something that the system update would be android 11 to 12. It was anyway. Maybe I wasn’t thinking clearly enough and soon I noticed that my new Xperia 10 III had android 13. Aargh… And the phone says that you can’t go back. But I found here in the forum a topic which said it’s possible with windows and Emma. I did that with success.

Now I have 2 Sailfish phones and I’m happy!!! (some of you might have already guessed that I use Linux instead of windows or mac).

Thank You everyone who are somehow involved in Sailfish OS!! You have helped me a lot.

Also I have to thank the phone seller in Stockmann (Finland) in 2013 who showed me his phone (Jolla1) and suggested me to try it. I did and here I am, still with Sailfish OS. :heart:

13 Likes

Same here. I upgraded from XperiaX to Xperia 10 III and I was worried about all the forum posts indicating issues that I found. In the end, compared to my previous device I have:

• Almost instant GPS fix
  • Overall better performance and better hardward (of course :D)
  • Thanks to @nephros’ work, use of 3 cameras
  • Updated AndroidApp support, in case I need it

With the help of to various the community contributions (posts in the forum, tools in openrepos etc.) I knew what I needed to careful at while flashing and transferring the data from my old XperiaX device.

Perhaps I will face some of the issues stated in the forum later on, but for now I am very happy with it. Thanks Jolla and thanks to this great community!

3 Likes